DIY tool for mk2 golf front suspension top monts.

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment & Fasteners' started by Admin, Nov 20, 2007.

1. Admin Guest

Well I was changing my suspension over this weekend and had to adapt and overcome a few small problems. Instead of splashing out on the correct tools to remove the front top mounts on my MK2 Golf GTi i decided a bit of fabrication was in order...

Tools required:

22mm socket.
    7mm alen key.
    Adjustable spanner.
    VW Wheel brace.
    Angle grinder.
    Hammer.
    Cheisel.

Firstly to remove the large nut that holds the front suspension in, you will need the special tool to hold the nut and the alen key thread (in the suspensions damper) at the same time. I selected the correst size socket 22mm (but they differ on size depending on the suspension manufacturer) and held it in a vice whilst i ground two edges flat, this ment I could hold the socket steady with an ajustable spanner.

[​IMG]

This was a very simple tool to make, you can see here how it works, the socket and adjustable are used to hold the nut steady, a 7mm alen key is then used (turned clockwise) through the centre of the socket. The clockwise rotation undoes the nut.

[​IMG]

Next up I needed to remove the spacer that holds the top mounts to the suspension. This little bugger...

[​IMG]

It's a pain to remove, iv tried using long nose needle pliers in the past - ok if the nut is loose but if it's tight you just end up damaging the threads on the strut. So I routed around the garrage and found that the VW wheel brace fits perfectly over [:D] Into the vice it went and with the angle grinder I cut out two blocks at the bottem, these then lock into the spacer nut. But you again need to hold the strut steady with that 7mm alen key. So I cut a rectangular hole big enough to fit the alen key tool in and cut it half way into the wheel brace.

[​IMG]

You can see how it works below, wheel bace fits onto the spacer nut and the alen key slots through the hole and into the strut, it gives you around a 90 deg angle for each turn before you have to reangle the alen key. Simple but effective tools and the latter looks like an OEM tool as it has a part number and stamp :) - well only if you cut it out neater than mine [:$] :lol: :lol:

[​IMG]

And for the unlucky buggers (like myself) that have nuts that were tightend by heman himself and will nut budge you can always get them out like this. Drill two holes close to the threads straight down through the nut, all the way to the bottem.

[​IMG]

Then take one large hammer, a old cheisel and hit hard...

[​IMG]

Keep hitting until the nut does this...

[​IMG]

Job is a fish. Go put a brew on. [:D]

2. vwgolfgtinut

vwgolfgtinut Forum Member

i used an impact gun myself took no time at all!!! To do the new nut up i used a swan necked 22m spanner with the allen key cool tool for the collar though.

3. AxlFoley Forum Junkie

I use an impact gun, of my Hazet strut top removal set, its the muts nuts, a Vag tool set designd specificaly for the job.

4. ihaveajetta Forum Member

im goin to grind my socket away a bit more i reckon

5. jakeireland Forum Member

this should go in the FAQs! :)

6. lufbramatt Forum Member

good work :)

a 22mm spark plug socket usually has flats on the outside for a spanner to save grinding down sockets tho, worked great on mine.

7. kerrly Forum Member

NOOO dont use impact tools!!

i have seen 2 golfs now where the strut tops were done up with impact guns and the strut tops have been ruined. Impact gun does them up far too tight you will have no hope of undoing them with a allen key as suggested above. I have managed to twist/bend a couple of allen keys now trying to undo the bolts.

good shout using a spark plug socket!! :clap: if that fails then il crack out the drill....

8. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

spark plug socket makes it a lot easier

9. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

impact gun cant be bad for getting them off tho, right?

10. Mk2gti8v Forum Member

good work.

11. lufbramatt Forum Member

btw if you use mk3 top mounts to put it back together if youre putting new shock+springs on, you dont need the slotted nut tool as the mk3 top mounts use a normal nut where the slotted nut goes. You need new spring plates + retainer plates but theyre cheap from VW.

12. MrDubmeister Forum Member

Northampton in a village in the middle of nowhere
    You can also use a socket which is specialy made for oxygen sensors, 22mm with a quarter of the socket cut out to allow for the wire . Perfect for undoing the topmounts

13. altern8 Forum Junkie

hazert sell the proper tool best tool you could buy

14. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Of course you could save all the hassle and spend 5 on the proper tools...[:[]

15. skint_golfer

skint_golfer Forum Member

spoil sport...

16. neil kaye Forum Junkie

i just use a 7mm alen key and a 22mm dipped ring spanner makes life easier

17. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

I'm just about to put coil-overs on my mk3 so am wondering what tools I would need to get the job done, where to get them etc and how much.... am pretty much willing to spend up to about 30 for tools if necessary just want the right stuff for the job as it makes stuff sooo much easier.. thats what I am finding anyway

18. DAVE 2227 Forum Junkie

19. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

thats the only tool that I will need?

how come smudge made 2 tools?? lol

I thought GSF sold these tools? when I went in and asked for it they showed me something that looked nothing like the one in the link and I thought some thing was up so was going to ask before I bought

20. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

GSF sell a Laser Tools `kit` of different sized strut top nut tools. They just look like a nut with a couple of lugs that locate into the strut nut. The extra height it adds lets you use a normal spanner and Allen key. :thumbup: