DIY Turbo K03 Rebuild

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by tinydubs, Oct 25, 2008.

1. tinydubs

tinydubs Forum Member

has anybody rebuilt one of these at home yet?seen the kit on ebay for around 50 notes. i`m not really all that bothered about it being balanced,it`ll only be a short time before the seals go again. it has a hard life making 1.3 bar :thumbup:

2. bens_cab Forum Junkie

1.3 bar no wonder is dting anything over 1 bar is a waste of time all your doing is blowing hot air lol

i can hold 1bar nicely in the cabby what car you running?

3. MUSH Forum Member

1.3 bar on a k03? brave man, mite aswell buy a few of those kits...:lol:

4. tinydubs

tinydubs Forum Member

i`ve been running my mk2 AUM KO3 like that for some time now , it only peaks at 1.3 bar@3500rpm and the sprinter intercooler seems to be ok with it pipework near the throttle is pretty damn cold. i`ve got no pinking or knock, which is good. suppose i should put it on the rollers. cos it was mapped on the motorway!

Last edited: Nov 5, 2008
  5. tinydubs

tinydubs Forum Member

turbo is toast now,[eek]

rebuild kit is on the way[:D]

6. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

I've stripped couple turbos at home, but will not start if the shaft has an issue, or would have to be touched as it will need balancing

7. g60gerry Paid Member Paid Member

I agree with your advice as i also have rebuilt many turbo's and there is no point in installing these with-out balancing, as you efforts,time and money will go down the drain, not to mention the damage you can cause to the engine.

8. tinydubs

tinydubs Forum Member

the turbo`s been stripped and re assembled now, nothing at all wrong with it execpt a little carbon build up. marked everything with a scribe so even the nut is correctly aligned as it was before the strip. also turns out to be a k03S[:D] hopefully it should stop weeping oil now. manifold gasket was lunched too. 2.50 from audi bargain!

Do not buy bearing kits from ebay they are s*** and are no where near to original spec shipped it back....

9. Mat-R Forum Member

What's the verdict in the cold light of day?

Success I hope?

10. tinydubs

tinydubs Forum Member

absolutely[:D] power and economy restored.:thumbup:

got a refund from said company too. they were expecting full on tech report about why they wouldn`t fit.

11. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Was the kit you got made by melett?

12. tinydubs

tinydubs Forum Member

no it wasn`t it was by a company trading on ebay as relentless tuning and was supplied to them by a company based in taiwan called Zage.
    And to be fair to Relentless, they were very good at dealing with the problem once they understood exactly what the issue was.

13. mk2-wanted

mk2-wanted Forum Member