Dizzy decision

Discussion in '8-valve' started by Noo Noo, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Noo Noo Forum Member

my project is due to start shortly when i'm happy I've collected all the bits.

In short I'm replacing my 1.8 engine (Code PD) in my T4 with a 1.8 PB engine. I'm also going to run it off my existing Weber and engine management to start with. This makes my LPG conversion and should make the conversion happen a little quicker and easier. It's my first.

Just wondering what Dizzy options I have other than the same one on the existing van engine. I discussed this when I collected my donor engine and have completely forgotten. I'm a complete numpty when it comes to engine mangement and electrics so please bear with me.

thanks

2. Mike_H Forum Addict

Does the existing carbed engine have management? I'd have thought not, but I'm prepared to learn something new.

If it's carb, you probably need a dizzy that came off of a carb car, or a kjet car, as it'll have a built in advance curve.

3. Noo Noo Forum Member

none that I can find Mike. Very simple set up. Current and original set up is carb.

straight away I'm struggling. Carb or Kjet I can folllow. Advance curve - confused..

4. alexisblades99 Forum Member

you can also get some modern replacement dizzys with a choice of 16 or so advance curves built in for about 120 in the classics mags.
    advance is when the spark is told to happen sooner in the engine's cycle, if it needs longer to burn the fuel/air mix than usual. ie if the engine is turning faster, or if there's less stuff in the cylinder (which makes it slower to burn).
    having the right advance curve allows you to get more power from the engine across the rev range without causing pre-ignition.

5. Noo Noo Forum Member

Aah thanks for that.

any recommendations? Van runs on LPG remember

6. alexisblades99 Forum Member

then you should use more advance than with petrol, as lpg has a higher octane. i think you can get it to run cooler if you avoid having the timing too retarded.
    have a google, can't remember off the top of my head the make's name..

7. Noo Noo Forum Member

thanks again. Dont want to go too mad. I need the reliability as the poor van covers some silly miles

8. Noo Noo Forum Member

Ok I'm getting there but some searches on the forum here and I've got myself confused again.

If I swapped a K-Jet dizzy onto the engine would I need to do anything else? Found rumblings of plugs needing changes and stuff.

Cheers

9. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

k-jet 8v dizzy is what you want with a pb lump and cam, better curve than the xcarby one will have. there is 1 possible change you'll need to make, and one other possible change.

#1 the flywheel will need a new 6 degree BTDC advance mark making, and you set the advance with the vac line to carb disconnected and plugged. Like this, use the EV measurement:
    [​IMG]

2nd possible change is the dizzy plug. you may find the plug on your loom wont plug into the dizzy, if so you'll need the plug off the donour car. just pop the pins out and swap em over :)

10. Noo Noo Forum Member

Cheers

Vagcat confirms the plug numbers have the same part no. so there's some hope there. Unfortunatley I dont have the wiring loom.

Just need to get my head around the advance / flywheel issue.

11. garnetteyes Forum Member

If you're running the carb set up you wont need the loom. You use the existing loom and a k-jet dizzy. I will literally be a case of..
    1. Removing the engine.
    2. Swapping the inlet and exhaust manifolds from the old engine onto the new engine (hence fitting the carb too as you leave this on). Removing the injector rail and blocking the injector holes with 1p pieces while you're doing it.
    3. Fitting the clutch/flywheel from the old engine.
    4. Swapping the sump (as discussed on the night)
    5. Fitting the k-jet dizzy
    6. Refitting the engine and reconnecting everything as it was removed. I'm sure the PAS pump is the same so that won't be an issue.

If you source a loom and the pumps then you can run the engine on digi management but you'll need you're LPG kit modifying to work with that.

The flywheel mark isn't much of an issue really. The mark you have on the existing flywheel will be 18 degrees before top dead centre and there will be another mark which is 0 degrees. You could, in theory, count the teeth between 18 degrees and 0 degrees. Divide it by three and then count back from 0 (in the same direction as the 18 degree mark) that many teeth. Put a tip-ex mark there and that should be spot on.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  12. Noo Noo Forum Member

Cheers again fella.

yep pretty much as I saw it. Just needed to get my head around the timing. Been busy already. All the manifolds and the injector rail is off. Alternator too. Funny thing, 1p's wont fit in the injector holes. Seems to be a sleeve in there. Not a problem, I'll find some stumpy bolts with a rubber ring washer. Another washer and some sealant should do a good job of it I hope.

K-jet dizzy it is. Could use the existing one and swap later but the engine sits a long way down in the van. Need orangutang arms to reach down there so now is the time.

Next job will be to give it all a damn good clean up. Shiny shiny will be nice.

13. alexisblades99 Forum Member

injector sleeves come out with a 14mm hex key. put the 1p in (with a dab of sealant) then put the sleeve back in.

14. rubjonny

thinking about it, if the pb engine came with the flywheel attached then the 6 degree mark will be there already anyway

15. Noo Noo Forum Member

No flywheel. I need to use the van gearbox, clutch and flywheel anyway. So I'll need to have a good look what marks it has. 18 deg as suggested by Garnet I'm guessing.

14mm allen key. I'll try that thanks.

16. rubjonny

doh yes of course, being a fool! best to do the teeth county thing as suggested also as i doubt the measurements will be the same anyway.
    the mark doesnt actually have to be 100% spot on anyway, its more of a base line. generally with these you can add a bit more advance and drive it, check for pinking, then repeat till you get pinking, then back it off a bit :thumbup:

17. garnetteyes Forum Member

Yea the flywheel is on my ABF unfortunately

18. Noo Noo Forum Member

Cheers guys.

Busy cleaning and getting as much prep as I can done at the moment. New gaskets and stuff all ordered. Going to tackle this in the next couple of weeks with a good mate.

Cross fingers we'll get a good result with this one.

19. garnetteyes Forum Member

Good luck with everything, keep us posted. Glad the engine is going to a good use.

20. Noo Noo Forum Member