Do 17" alloys fit?

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tyres' started by marcus, Feb 5, 2004.

1. marcus New Member

I've got a Mk 3 golf GTI (2litre 16v 5 stud) and am wondering whether 17" alloys will fit without modifying the arches at all(tyre size 205/40/17).

Also does anyone know if this will alter the speedo reading?

Thanks ;)

2. Golfgirl Forum Member

Yes they will fit :)You'll even be able to lower it a fair amount ;) As for the speedo, it's only minimal (about 1% I think someone said recently) so nothing to worry about really.
    Edited by: Golfgirl

3. marcus New Member

Thanks - could well be making a purchase on Saturday! [:D]

4. MrBen Forum Junkie

Don't forget to lower it, or it'll look like a 4x4!!

5. OSV

OSV Forum Member

You can't just ask the question by mentioning the diametre and tyre size and expect an informed reply. Width and offset are more important.

6. mark_vr6 Forum Member

As mentioned mate - get the offset right and dont forget that they may rub the arches if you have a loaded car, and also where it may not rub on one car (loaded), they may catch slightly on another. You will get em on no problem but simple arch work will solve any issues you may have with a full load - hopefully you wont.

My s-lines are on next Saturday - cant wait :p :p

7. russmw Forum Member

As said above they fit with no problems. The speedo will be out by a small amount. We went down to cornwall with friends who live next door, we both reset the trips counters when we left home and when we stopped half way he had done 3 miles more than me!

Means your servicing will be later than normal and the mileage will be less on your car (slightly) compared to normal.

8. Mike 8v Forum Member

Mines rubbed on one side when I had 3 people in the back.I ended up getting the arches rolled.It's lowered 35mm with koni/eibachs