dodgy power steering (bit long)

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by Enigmatik33, Oct 27, 2003.

1. Enigmatik33 Forum Member

right spent the week end looking at gf's nw purchse to fix it for the MOT. it needs 1 new tyre, rear shock (will stick a couple of old ones on and send rear for rebuild), ball joint (did those yesterday) and powersteering fixed.

It's the power steering that's driving me up the wall, it's a j plate 8v, when we got it fulid was a bit low and belt was loose, no prbs thinks i, top it up and adjust belt, prbs sorted. :) no it seems not :( adjusted the belt as tight as will go, no squealing anymore however at idle there is little or no assistance. On the open road there seems to be too much, i.e steering is v light. but moment revs drop below say 1500rpm the steering gets heavy. my dad mentioned there might be a pressure relief valve, on the pump somewhere, that was stuck? anyone any ideas or helpful suggestions? I have 2 spare pumps and resevoirs, so can try changing that, but no spare rack. HELP!

2. Enigmatik33 Forum Member

oh come on, 19 of you have looked at this an no one has any ideas?[xx(]

3. Enigmatik33 Forum Member

*bump* anyone?

4. JEZ

Jez Forum Member

When the pas is operation normally you can hear a louder hiss sound when the relief valve is open, normally when on full lock.

For the steering to become heavy at low engine revs suggests that the pump is not performing at it's optimum. I've only had my pas for a few months, so still very new to me, but it might be a sign of that the pump is wearing out or indeed the relief valve may be stuck.

I would be inclined to swap a pump over :)
    Edited by: Lemming

5. Enigmatik33 Forum Member

thanx i'll try that tomorrow thanx mate