Does an AHU have gaskets between the head and inlet manifold?

Discussion in 'Diesel' started by Ralphead, Oct 26, 2014.

1. Ralphead New Member

As per the title. I've just bought a '97 TDI which failed its MOT on smoke density (and several other things). Tomorrow I'm planning to strip the inlet manifold and egr system in the hope of cleaning up the emissions a bit. But before that I'd like to know whether I need to get some new gaskets or not. Thanks.

2. fasteddie

fasteddie Banned

Yup has inlet manifold gasket but you can reuse them if their sound most I have removed are go to use again :thumbup:
    Check for boost leaks/ all boost pipe joins, clips seals etc ..check your air filter is good/new only cost a few pound.
    Has its cat been removed as this cuts back a lot of the smoke ...not good if removed :thumbd:

PS its A Fooking dirty Job cleaning manifold [:s]

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
  3. Ralphead New Member

Good stuff. I'll go through it all before and after cleaning.

I don't know about the cat but going by the exhaust note I'd say its all standard.

Looking at the old MOTs it flew though emissions last year and the year before but failed spectacularly a couple of weeks ago. I'm sort of hoping it is a dirty job, otherwise there may be another problem..

Thanks