Does it go green? - Colour change dilemma

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by SmokingYoDa, Oct 6, 2010.

1. SmokingYoDa New Member

Ok! HELP! lol

I Before I start, my posts on here have been minimal (covers ears & ducks) mainly due to work, but got to start by saying this forum has helped me out SooOO much, just try searching :thumbup:

I have 3 5 door mk2 16v's, all the same colour (metalic black), now I've done a deal and managed to get a full respray sorted for my main one, by offering whats left of the other 2 (bought for parts) to my mate machanic/spayer. So, I'll be left with one car, resprayed... SWEET!

I purchaced the car (wanted oak green but hey, this one was cheap) as a Cat C, with 189,000 on the clock, lowered, BBS RA's & full service history. the engine was striped and rebuilt (reciepts to proove) @182,000 by last owner with new pistons etc. It runs sweet and feels smooth & strong, so I'm happy with engine. All that was wrong was the damage a silly woman had done by reversing into the NS wing, then thought bugger it, and carried on down the side [:s] (have photo's of damage for the cars records/history)

The fix was a new wing, door and arch/door trims, which I had done last year, again cheap and not 100% happy with paint work (not done by my friend I must add)

Now, here comes the dilemma, do I..

• A - Keep it the same original colour
    • B - Go oak green

I owend a mk2 oak green 16v 3 door about 10 years ago, but alas it got stolen [:x] and have been on the lookout the last couple of years for another (fav colour mk2), but they go for more than my budget or are dogs.

Normally I would say keep it original! but as this one is a Cat C with high millage, I don't think it will devalue it any more by changing the colour, and it would save me hunting any more (5 door tho but hey, runs sweet!). Also I would rather keep this one as it's better the devil you know I think.

Whats your opinions?

2. afbiker02

afbiker02 Paid Member Paid Member

be different with something other than oak green

3. SmokingYoDa New Member

That'll be a C then. Hmmmm :)

I did still want to keep it looking standard of sorts, but my missus would like to see it black, with purple fleck.

4. thegave Forum Member

Jade green.

5. afbiker02

afbiker02 Paid Member Paid Member

6. SmokingYoDa New Member

7. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Changing to another similar-era factory colour is unlikely to devalue it any, IMO. If you were to spray it bright purple or something, then that`d be a different matter... :lol:

You say you always wanted one in Oak Green, so then this would be the logical choice; a freshly re-sprayed one would be better than any you good find, especially since the job will essentially be `free`, and you know the car already.

8. theboymike Forum Junkie

Personally would only go for original VAG colours if you're going to change it, and would only do so if the whole bare shell was being done.

I'd be inclined to stick with the original colour though... Black isn't bad - at least it's not red [xx(]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
  9. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

lhasa green? similar to oak green and looks great on mk2's as discussed in the other thread

10. DC75

DC75 Forum Member

go for the oak green, its a gorgeous colour and its what you want, i have the best of both your worlds: 2 gti's, one black and one oak green and both 5 door:thumbup:.

11. SmokingYoDa New Member

Thanks for all the feedback/reply's so far :thumbup:

Jade is out (not one of my faves, but can look good), lhasa green is nice and is actually sorta the reason I know the mechanic/sprayer, as when I had my 1st Oak green I was filling her up at the station & a SHINY mk1 in the flavour lhasa was already parked up there, so when I'd paid and walked back, the owner of the mk1 was looking at my ride. Chat went on many minutes (gota love dubness) He'd just had his fully smoothed & resprayed so asked him who had done the work... and so got given his number.

Since I have had a couple of cars fixed up by him, and really happy with the work, so no hesitation getting him to fully spray this one.

I think any bright colours are out, its a 4 door weekender car, not a 3 door show stopper and I don't want to stand out in the crowd, more just slip by un-noticed apart from the knowing nods/waves from fellow dubbers [:D] (possibly OMG! what was that on that private secret backroad race track :p)

I do have one issue tho, I'm not wanting to take engine out to spray the bay. All windows are coming out, and the inner boot will be sprayed. So the bay will stay black, untill the day the engine gives up and a 2ltr gets popped in.

Mmmmm...I'm still feeling the green (decisions!)

No rush as I'm holding off till be beginning of the year to amass the small bits I need, badges, grill etc as would like to see new bits to do the paint justice.

New golfball gearnob came today, ebay brand new VAG 29.99 off chubnutt9999 good deal I thought.

12. madmonkey Forum Addict

Lhasa Green.

Far cooler than Oak.

13. nealey Forum Junkie

If you are not going to do a full shell respray i would keep it metallic black

14. thegave Forum Member

Just out of curiosity, where is this sprayer located?

15. SmokingYoDa New Member

That was probably my main concern, the engine bay not being sprayed. But then I thought it would'nt be so bad because its black, and not something like "Red" (seen so called red cars with 2 tone - pink on outside, red in the middle[xx(]). I'm not going to be in any hurry to sell the car after, as I see this as a long term motor (owned 2years so far), and like I say.. when the engine gives up the bay can be sprayed then. So, to me less of an issuue as the main thing is to get the car looking tight. Who see's in there anyway, me, my machanic and the MOT master. :)

He's located just outside Norwich, he use to have a small workshop in Norwich but the person he was renting it from ws an A-Hole. He's now got another workshop which is ok for stripping and repairs (also has car lift), then the use of a oven/booth elsewhere. I actually thought(was told by someone) that he was no longer spraying when he lost his other place, hence why I got someone else to fix this car initially, and it looks like s**t (blind, 5year old comes to mind) Paint coming off door edge already and thin, omg its nearly transparent in direct sunlight [:x]

16. thegave Forum Member

Damn. I'm looking for a good spray somewhere closer to home.

17. SmokingYoDa New Member

Good luck! not easy to find a good one.

18. thegave Forum Member

No kidding.

19. SmokingYoDa New Member

OMG I think I've just bought another metalic black, 3 door this time[:D]

Going to have to have a group photo soon, lol

20. SmokingYoDa New Member

Thanks for all your idea's & opinions :thumbup:

All plans have changed I think, paid a deposit on an 3 door 8v metalic black with 2Ltr BB, fast road cam & K&N induction (needs zorst!). It's got 160 odd thousand on it, but no Cat C or any other nasties (hpi clear) but it has a few rusty spots & scratches, so could do with a refresh. The rest is all looking standard, as it will stay and all window rubbers are good :)

I think it's going to make sense to have this one sprayed (if all good when we get it up on a lift and have a poke underneath) and keep it its original colour, rather than my 16v now which will get a patch up/ clean up (at same time as paint in gun).

So, again thanks and I'll post more about it soon :thumbup: