Does K-jet/mechanical injection sound different?

Discussion in 'K-Jetronic OEM injection' started by tobyk, Mar 2, 2015.

1. tobyk

tobyk Forum Member

Silly question maybe here...

My Mk2 16v to me sounds very very nice, it's virtually straight piped from a TSR 4 branch to a gutted OE backbox, even above this you can hear the induction roar and at the right point in the rev range in my opinion it's the best sounding 4 cylinder ever.

I've owned Mk3 16vs with various exhaust and intake setups, I've been in all manner of cars with VW 16v engines in various states of tune and nothing compares to a KR. Is this purely the mechanical CIS doing something differently? It also pops flames that make me feel like a 17 year old with a flamer kit at WOT/near limiter upshifts.

I'm currently building a decent spec 16v with various bits in it, and can't decide to go for standalone EFI for the relative ease of setup, adaptability, etc etc. or to stick with K-jet which has been perfectly reliable for me for the last 5 years with nothing but a fuel pressure calibration.

So - is it the K-jet that makes the epic note I so crave? This is all without mentioning the throttle response...

2. Ben_s Forum Member

I would have thought that the kjet system as a whole will create the noise that you hear as it controls the air getting into the engine. The air box, metering head air flap and throttle body will all contribute to creating the induction noise. The injection part not so much IMO.

If you have the cash, then a standalone ecu will be better all round once properly set up. You will be able to tune it to offer throttle response that rivals that of the kjet system and will also have a fully optimised fuel map throughout the entire rev range rather than an optimised window using kjet.

With a modified, standard airbox or a suitable cone filter, you will still get a nice induction sound.

I still use kjet on my abf. I love it but if something went wrong with it, I would probably go for megasquirt. Currently, it's a bit too much outlay for the ecu etc when I don't actually need it

3. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Aye I like the old k jet as will Ben
    And would like to keep it maybe even use a piggy back ECU
    To get the best out of it If I get my mk2 back on the road
    Just to be a bit different
    But if the metering head went I'd probably bin it