Does this sound like my gearbox?

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by Seizure, Dec 29, 2003.

1. Seizure Forum Member

The other day my Valver developed a problem. Driving alone at 70 a high pitch whirring cut in as if someone had flicked a switch. I slowed. At 50 it stopped as if someone had flicked the switch again. Sped back up, nothing.

Next time it did it I investigated. Diving at 70, noise started. Dipped the clutch, no change. Into neutral, no change. Revved the engine whilst in neutral, no change. Slowed to 50, it stops.

It sounds to be coming from the nearside front of the car. It's definitely road speed related, but doesn't sound like a wheel bearing - too high pitched More of an electrical hum. Have already swapped gearbox fluid. Anyone have any ideas? Or is it new gearbox time?

2. daviddd Forum Member

could be wheel bearing or CV joint(s) but it's odd it's only happening at high speed. Might sound daft but are you sure it's not something being vibrated by the wind at that speed, something loose?

3. Seizure Forum Member

I guess it could be, but you tend to get a progresive runmble with those.

Had considered that something is loose and rattling, but it's so off and on I'm not sure what it could be. Thought maybe a dodgy speedo cable, but same again - The on/off issue.

As long as it's not terminal I'll live with it, but don't want something to suddenly fail on me big stylee.