"don't call us, we'll call you"

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by PhatVR6, Jun 18, 2010.

1. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

I started a new contract 8 weeks ago. It's been a tough start, such a dull office, really boring easy work, and not much of it, zero pressure, they just seem to bimble along. I was getting to the point or wondering if it was worth my effort actually going in anymore, I'd rather be busy, I actually miss not having a boss literally breathing down my neck.

Then on Wednesday the director asked if he could "have a chat". I knew exactly what it might be about....

Basically the years work they promised me hasn't materialised. I took a pay cut and left my old job to go there, as there were promising prospects of long term work. They have a few other contractors in the office, and one guy is even on secondment from another company, have they sent him back? no. Has the other guy had his hours cut? no. They asked if I'd be willing to work limited hours, of course I agreed, (I'd actually love to work only 3 or 4 days a week on a decent rate, beats doing twice the hours for half the money that's for sure)/

Got to around 3:30pm yesterday and he came over again and said "have you got much work to do?" I said well I'll be finished this by the end of today. "oh, well could you not come in next week, or tomorrow actually". I said shall I ring later in the week to see if you've got anything? "we've got your contact details" was the reply...

Fair enough, I'm on contract, and I can't expect them to pay me to sit and do nothing, but an hours notice!? come on, that's not on. My agent is fuming, he's playinghell with HR.

What annoyed me the most was when I asked one of the engineers if he'd been told anything about it by the director "oh, no, no?" was his reply, when I'd clearly seen an email or 3 on his screen about it...

ah, well, that's the chest cleared, at least it's summer, guess I'll just have to put the car trailer on hold and live off the money I'd saved up.

2. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Paul, seriously, why don't you start your own business, be it car related or your trade - you can't know which way your **** is hanging with all these contracts and stuff?

3. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

Thought about it many many times, but don't have the patience to deal with arsey customers. There's more money in breaking cars, just buy an MOT failure for a few hundred quid and sell the bits on ebay/forums. it's easy month but you but for that you need a lot of space, and space costs money. what's the old rule? 2 days out of 5 you're working to pay your overheads....

I already have my own company for my trade, I choose to work contract, I can do 3 days a week and eanr more than I would in a permanent staff job. I'm used to getting laid off now, but not as such short notice and so early in what was meant to be a long term contract.

Was hoping to go to a property auction next month and make a bid for an ex RAF dormitory base, could make a fortune out of that site, car/caravan/motorhome/trailer storage, breakers yard, etc etc. but alas can't borrow enough money to even think about bidding.

4. Brookster

Brookster Paid Member Paid Member

Bad news Paul

i'll keep a look out but all the Design jobs seem to be in the middle east on the net.

5. GVK

As you know I'm looking to start my own business in the near future, the advise I've been given by guys who've been doing this sort of thing for years is...

Vet your customers - you soon know if they're going to be awkward/time wasters/knobs , if they appear to be any of the above - say you're too busy.

For every 5 or 10 w@nkers you get 1 or 2 decent customers.

Some years ago I was at Harvey Gibbs place in Peterboro, he's been tuning Fords for years, knows his stuff. I used to get my RS Turbos tuned by him as he's the best around.

WappppppTischhhhhh BOOOM BOOOM BOOOOOOOOOOOM Renault 5 turbo with subs blarring out came in the yard, before the kid could even speak Harvey pointed at the gate and told him to **** OFF!!

That was in the 90s, Harvey still tunes Fords!,

Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  6. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

yeah, but you can't turn work down when you're quiet can you. I know 2 lads who did it a couple of years ago. They get all sorts of knobheads coming round, demanding to take the cars away half finished, break ins, etc etc. It's just not worth the stress really. The only way I could see it working is to design and make products and sell them, just get away from the whole fitting lark (then again, the labour charges are where the money is...)

7. GVK

Mate, give me a ring.

8. Rayhoop Paid Member Paid Member

Paul - if your contracted to do i.e. 40 hours a week, you should be getting paid for up to 40 hours a week as long as YOU turn up. If they ask you to cut your hours, and then not to turn up - you are entitled to some form of compensation, as the firm are in breach of your contract.

Too right your agent should be kicking up a fuss.
    Stay on your agents back till you get a good result.

Im an IT contractor, and have seen in bigger companies they are a lot more wary of contracts and the contractor rights. Where as smaller firms tend to take try and take you for a ride without knowing the consequences.

E.g. I know a contractor who was given his 1 month notice of early termination, and was also paid for a proportion of the remaining months he had to go on his contract.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  9. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

The HR head should be back today, so might get somewhere with them once my agent speaks to her about.

As far as I'm concerned I'm looking for another contract, I couldn't stand the place anyway and I don't want to go back. If THEY don't want me to go back, then i want paying for this week as my weeks notice.

10. velly_16v_cab

velly_16v_cab Forum Junkie

what is the notice period in your contract?

11. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

a week.

They never said they'd finished me, they just said they had no work for me for a few weeks so they didn't want me in. I did say I can't really expect them to sit there and do nothing, but I still think I'm entitled to some pay off them.

Thinking about it I should just turn up and keep filling in my timesheet, if they wanted me to leave they'd have to throw me out and sack me :-)

12. velly_16v_cab

surely they just cant tell you to 'wait' till they have work???
    hope you get it sorted soon!

13. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

well according to certain smart arses it's all my fault for being a greedy contractor and I should take a normal paid secure just just like everyone else.

damn, how dare i try and better myself by having decent skill and earning a decent wage so i don't have to live off the state, shame on me....maybe i should go and work for half the money after all....

14. velly_16v_cab

as a fellow contrator i am on your side dude.
    i admit the risks are worth it but i dont like the idea that they can 'put you on hold' till they find more work.
    I hope your agent is sorting it out...in my eyes they are laying you off so you should get your weeks pay.
    You contract is for 'X' hours per week for 'Y' number of weeks.
    is they drop your hours, isnt that a change to your contract?

15. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

permenant staff = security, a lot harder to get rid of and less money

contractor = no security, disposable, much much easier to get rid of but more money.

If someone started a thread on here winging that they are doing a job exactly the same as you on a temp contract and getting lots more money then a contractor would be quick to point out the benefits of being employed.

And by the way, if your employed 50% of the time on twice the amount of money then your earning the same ;) your just doing less for it and getting more time off (bonus) but then you have the stress of not knowing where your next contract's coming from.

No one's saying anyone should go scrounge off the state (i certainly didn't) just it' pointless winging if your getting stung by the pitfalls of being a contractor like it's a big suprise. Unfortunately very few companies really care about people/careers and its only the employment laws that swing it heavily in an employed person's favour.

If you dont get that benefit, but earn "twice" as much then fine, but don't winge when it all falls over :thumbup: especially every 2 months

16. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

What I'm "whinging" about is them promising me prospects of "at least a years work" and an ongoing contract, then sending me home after 8 weeks with an hours notice because of bad planning on their behalf. If they have a problem with me they should be man enough to just tell me.

I've been contracting 10 years, the only time I've been out of work was last year and this week, I know the pitfalls. I just don't think they are playing fair game and if they expect me to wait then they should pay me a retainer or pay me this week as my notice period and start a new contract if they want me back. They should have never bothered taking me on really, i've had literally one days work a week since I started.

I had bother with my last client when I got laid off, as the only contractor I had to go so they could get rid of their staff, I was promised i'd be back within "weeks". It took 10 months before I was back there, and I left after 3 months to take this contract on.

17. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

does sounds sheet. I know its easy to say in hindsight - but I suppose if someone is offering long term work (which on contractor money is like hitting the jackpot) and your going to leave a contract then I suppose a 6 month minimum with a longer notice period should/could? be negotiated at the start to test thier committment.

Companies are skanks though, they really dont care. Its just business

18. Rayhoop Paid Member Paid Member

sorry mate - I can see where your coming from, but think you've got your wires a lil crossed.

your correct re: permie compared to contract... but contractors have rights too. You cant sign someone up for 40 hours of work a week and they tell them 'dont come in till we call you' - that is breach of contract.

Contractors benefit the firms that hire them as:
    1) usually a skill (or simply another pair of hands) that is required for a specific task that no one else can fill.
    2) overheads of a contractor are less - the firm dont have to worry about pensions, employees NI, training, company benefits etc... which do add up in the long run
    3) contractors are flexible. Yes you can get rid of them at e.g. 1 weeks notice, but you cannot expect a contractor to hang on and not get paid if there is no work.

In many cases a contractor is not allowed to have two contracts running in parallel... so if a firm signs you up and then puts you on the sub's bench with no pay... then effectively you have been denied the chance to work. Yes the contractor could give a weeks notice and leave, but then they loose out and that is not fair to play like that, as you expect both parties to work to the contract. (Its wrong for the employer to bully the contractor into handing in notice by denying them work)

Its harsh to say Paul is whinging 'when it falls over'. Paul is complaining about a breach of contract.

If Paul was complaining about being served his 1 week notice period, then yes your point would be valid. But in this case it is not.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  19. aminder

aminder CGTI Committee - Webmaster Staff Member Admin

Hey PhatVR6,
    I'm trying to get in touch but can't email you.

Can you please PM me your email address regarding stuff for sale.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  20. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

agreed with all of that, if they havent stuck to the contract then its rubbish (i did say it sounds a bit sheet the way they are dealing with it)