door speakers

Discussion in 'ICE' started by tonyvw, Jun 12, 2011.

1. tonyvw Forum Member

Im thinking of changing my door speakers and wondered if anyone had used different door pockets to mount their speakers and if so how? also does anyone know if other door pods will fit the mk2 golf?

2. tonyvw Forum Member

wonder if mk3 door pods would fit with some small modification?

3. lard44 Forum Member

I've just ordered some 5.25" Focal jobbies, they should fit in the standard slots no problem.

Not many aftermarket door pods about - a set of Audioscape ones went for 150 on eBay last night - but I guess anything will fit with some modification, or you could even fabricate your own with fibreglass and resin if you were feeling fruity!

4. pigbladder Forum Addict

mk3 ones dont fit straight on

either audioscape or make some up in the same style

5. dragonfly

dragonfly Paid Member Paid Member

Get a set of component speakers and replace the tweeters in the dash at the same time. You can buy the pods which will allow you place a much bigger speaker inh the location and are angled towards the driver. Cost around 120 made or second hand Audioscape verions.

6. tonyvw Forum Member

i have thought about making some or at least have a go...just trying to save work ie fibre glass etc buy finding something that will do the job with a bit of moding

7. tonyvw Forum Member

has anyone got any suggestions for replacement door speakers? as dragonfly says some component ones...i guess mid range? iv seen a few with tweeters built in so bit confused

8. dub303 Forum Member

I have focal components that sound great. They were in my old mk2 straight fit, with tweeters in stock dash location. That was ok, but when it was written off I put them in my mk4, also ok... But took advice and re-located the tweeter to sit with the mid/full range cone on a bracket angled towards myself (tweeter only) The difference was noticable, way better.

With this in mind, for my mk2 I'm thinking of getting the ones with the directional tweeter built in, and try to direct the whole thing towards me. I cant say as yet, but thats the way I'd go.

Focal sound great and that kind of jobbie can be got for 90-230 depending on your budget.

My comps were 230, and still sound great after 14 years!!

(basic alpine HU and Genesis amp)

9. pigbladder Forum Addict

you want a component 13cm kit , that will be a mid range for the door and a tweeter for the dash

go with a known good brand , and if you can afford it get a amp as well

10. tonyvw Forum Member

ok cheers guys will let you know which ones i get...iv seen some alpine componentes which look ok but i guess its a case of you get what you pay for with speakers, the alpines are only 60 quid so dont know how good they will sound

11. tonyvw Forum Member

also if i go for ones with built in tweeeters would it be best to keep the dash tweeters or do away with them?

12. tonyvw Forum Member

iv just been reading that bass is almost non existant with 13cm door speakers?

13. pigbladder Forum Addict

youd fit the tweeter where the old dash speaker goes

as for bass ..you wont get loads from a cheapo speaker , the dearer ones will be a bit better, you might want to try and stifffen the door card and add some sound deadening pads to the door to improve the output

depends what you want , mine always sounded a bit weak and gay even with a amp , so modded some door pockets to take 17cm ones and use a sub as well

[​IMG]

14. tonyvw Forum Member

That looks really good mate yea I'm gonna try to fit bigger speakers to my pockets I'm sure there must be some how tos somewhere

15. dub303 Forum Member

Mine also sound rubbish without the sub (old 12" rockford from way back!!). It's there for the lack of bass from the fronts and works fine. Loads of hassle and extra money though so may be worth working on pods. I think any size speaker fitted badly will have no bass.

They look great Pigbladder! I have a spare set of door cards ready for if I get time to do similar to try to get more mid bass. I'm happy enough as it is though... for now.

16. tonyvw Forum Member

What did u use to stiffen the door cards mate?

17. pigbladder Forum Addict

fibre glass resin and matt , you can then stick sound deadener pads on top if you like

18. lard44 Forum Member

Hmmm...did you layer this straight on? The resin didn't try and seep through did it?

I like this idea...

19. pigbladder Forum Addict

no i wouldnt have suggested it if it ruins the doorcards

20. lard44 Forum Member

Of course not. Just wondered if you'd been particularly frugal with the resin or used some sort of porous membrane in between...