Door won't open

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by monkeyzoo, Sep 23, 2009.

1. monkeyzoo Forum Member

FFS!

My passengar door won't open. It sounds like it unlocks but both door pulls feel the same as when it is locked.

Could it just be that the latch inside has become dissengaged from the pulls? Or something else?

So I'm stuck with a closed door so can't get the door card off or get to the lock. What do I do??

Mk3 Golf
    - Central locking
    - De-locked
    - Toad AI606

2. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

someone tried to break into my mk2 years ago and managed to fook the mechanism inside the door so i ended up in the same situation.

You will have to get the card off with the door closed, its pretty difficult and will probably ruin the door card.

it helps if you take the seat out, and if you can remove the door seals fron the inside of the door.

is it a 3 door or 5? if it 5 you may be able to have some access to the lock mechanism with the rear door open, possibly????

3. monkeyzoo Forum Member

3 door. No way I'm wrecking the door card if I can help it. There must be another way.
    Anyone got any suggestions on what the problem could be?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009
  4. alexisblades99 Forum Member

take the window seal off and see if you can get a coat hanger down the side of the glass..

5. monkeyzoo Forum Member

Quick update.

Wound the window down and got a wedge in the door to open it up a little to see inside. The outside door pull is located in the latch lever inside the door which moves as it should when the handle is pulled. From what I could see the rod from the inner pull also seemed to be moving correctly although I couldn't see the important end where the look is.

The lock is making the correct noises when central locking is operated and the pin moves up and down as it should it so I can only conclude that the actual lock is not unlocking.

I need more info on how the lock works. Is there anything I can get a wire or something round?

Another option is that I think I can get the catch open onto it's first catch which will open the door a bit - like when you don't shut the door properly but it won't swing open. Unfortunately this isn't enough to get to the handle's screw. I can't figure out how to release the latch from it's first catch.

Anyone got any answers or advice?

Thanks

6. Kivster Forum Member

i had the same on my mk2... not central locking though. Manged to get to the screws on the opening edge of the door to the door card and remove them (did not remove the seat, but it is tight). Then pulled the door card back enough so not to damage it and squeeze my hand in though the gap (helps if u have small hands). After a bit of routing around I found the latch which is locted just below the lock within the handle of the door. On the MK2 there are 2 paddles on lock, on releases the catch. What I found is that the return spring to the inisde handle had broken and therefore it did not do anything when I pulled it. happened to both locks, once opened I went scrappy and replace both catches. Hope this helpd.

7. Kivster Forum Member

8. monkeyzoo Forum Member

Hi Kivster,

Where are the paddle on the lock?

9. Kivster Forum Member

Not sure that the MK3 is the same as the mk 2, they are on the inside just below the lock barrel of the outside door haddle. The door handle has a flap type thing that rotates and connects with the lock mechanism which release the catch