drive belt ripped into thinner belt?

Discussion in 'Diesel' started by MK-III_Boy, Nov 9, 2010.

1. MK-III_Boy Forum Member

couple of months ago i replaced the fan/ drive belt for my 1.9TDi AHU engine
    and yesterday the belt must of slipped and its come off and it has been reduced in width?
    but im going to try and get a new tensioner pulley and belt..
    but apart from the belt snapping the engine wouldnt start? it would attempt to turn over and then stop, its like asif i have no battery power left? i even started to push start it but nothing?
    help!?
    [xx(][xx(][:^(][:^(]

2. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

so if you have bit of belt 'missing' and did the engine stop while driving - if so might of done something inside on the cambelt

or it hasn't and the battery had died
    take off the top cambelt cover an see if it looks messy!

3. MK-III_Boy Forum Member

ill have a look tommorrow
    it attempts turn but not turn over properly

4. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Battery? I'm sure you had battery problems before.

5. m1keh Forum Member

I'd say belt came off you carried on driving until you stopped and the now battery has gone flatter than it needs to be to start. Start by charging the battery and replacing the belt.

6. MK-III_Boy Forum Member

yh last time it was battery and starter motor,
    the starter motor didnt want to turn over it used to click and not turn unti li removed the earth and power and put them back on, then i got a click noise and then the starter worked fine ?? lol

7. MK-III_Boy Forum Member

when the car stopped yesterday, the belt came off and then the car just stopped running, tried to turn er over and nothing happnded, the belt wet form thick to thin in width??

okies i went down today replaced the drive belt, and new tensioner pulley and made sure eveyrthing was tight and the belt was tight,

tried push starting the car and lifting in 2nd gear at one point it wanted to start but it didnt just died and blue smoke coming from the exhaust,
    tried again and nothing again and tried about 7 times and nothing, tried to jump start nothing happend aswel,
    i picked up a local mechanic from around the corner from my car, so i have left the battery at a his garage to charge overnight..
    he said that it seems like its the battery being dead, and also he said it seems like a lazy solenoid, so i got a spare starter motor in the boot from a vento same 1.9TDi AHU

but apart from that can anyone help me please??

8. danster Forum Addict

As mentioned previously. You really want to check that none of the old belt is caught up in the crank pulley and timing belt. It will cause serious damage if it causes the timing belt to jump a tooth.

9. MK-III_Boy Forum Member

yh i was driving and i didnt stop the engine... the engine stopped it self?? the cambelt seems fine??

10. m1keh Forum Member

Sounds like your cambelt may have slipped a few teeth if it won't start with bumping.

11. MK-III_Boy Forum Member

hmmm im thinking bent valves :(
    fingers crossed it aint bent valves

12. MK-III_Boy Forum Member

it sounds like the valves are bent, its just popping from the exhaust and the airfilter
    how much is a new head by anychance?
    i know i need to buy:
    Head Gasket
    Head Bolts
    Valves
    Skim the head

Correct me if i need anything else please thanks

i got another option of just buying another TDi engine and dropping that in there stright swap?
    which is cheaper?

13. aidanb22 Forum Member

Don't just go by the sound of it, have you physically checked everything is still timed up?

14. MK-III_Boy Forum Member

im going to go down today take the cam cover off and check the timing
    and try and look for any peices of the drive belt aswel

15. gigaz Forum Member

If considerind to bump start a tdi please take in consideration the price of a new engine ;)

the ecu opens the diesel shutoff valve, it does so if the key is in the ignition and if voltage is above 11v give or take.
    if the battery is dead, the only power supply is the alternator, but it can't charge the battery enough for the ecu to wake up and supply diesel to the pump.

that said, I've managed to push start a TDI replacing its dead battery for a 2.2A/h gel from a very small ups, it was enough for the ecu, started right up, like a gas engine;) then replaced it for the main bat, that charged happily.

what you have there is a big mess, while the accessory belt is off check the bearings on the alternator, I would strongly advise you not to try and start that engine again without at least check timing belt timing and inspecting for debris.

I have 2 tdi engines with the crank nose worn off because the PO skipped to replace the bolt for a new one when changing the timing belt, it costs 1.25€ at the dealer...about 2 or 3€ at general parts shop :(

Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
  16. m1keh Forum Member

Are you saying they should be replaced even if not undone?

17. gigaz Forum Member

no, they must be replaced if undone, in your case I would:
    -inspect for debris
    -check timing, if good:
    -check acc pulley for wobble, that was the fisrt sign for my brothers tdi
    -check alternator bearings(had one so bad that it short-circuited the battery[8(])

18. danster Forum Addict

Exactly how not to do a timing belt. Just a lazy mechanic with an air gun blasting off the main TB pulley to crank bolt instead of undoing the 4 allen bolts.

19. gigaz Forum Member

yup, I think that's what happened, not a big problem if he didn't put the same bolt in and blasted it it again till "tight"[:x]

20. MK-III_Boy Forum Member

im kind of confused about this bolt thing??

i understand i need to :
    -check timing, if good:
    -check acc pulley for wobble, that was the fisrt sign for my brothers tdi
    -check alternator bearings
    how would i check alternator bearings?

by the way i got a garage to charge my battery overnight and it was 13.3v on his multimeter which was enough for the engine to crank, but when i put the battery in the engine didnt want to crank so i have a lazy starter motor, ill change it for one in my boot i have a spare