driven the new MkV

Discussion in 'Mk5' started by GTI_Neil, Jan 30, 2004.

1. GTI_Neil New Member

Just took a 2L GT TDI Mk V Golf for a test drive and I was very impressed. Good strong low down torque - lovely.

Has anyone else test driven one yet and what did you think.

2. JEZ

Jez Forum Member

Sat in one...

nice place to sit :)

3. lewiscypher Forum Member

Yes i have over short test route

drives like a big exec car with al that torque, not convinced by the electric steering its ok but i cant see any advantage over the old type, handles well for a big heavy car which it obviousley is

If I was cruising the length of the country and in the car all day every day I couldnt think of anything better
    hugeley impresive package

would I swap it for my mk2?

nope

- chalk and cheese well need to wait for a polo with a "big" engine if you want old style gti thrills and even then I fear the may be gone forever

lupo gti is the last old school raw hot hatch you can buy new from vw's stables I reckon, which is a shame

why cant they build a clio 172/mini cooper S rival? a "proper" raw hot hatch

Edited by: lewiscypher

4. drew Forum Member

1. Doesn't sap power from the engine
    2. Doesn't sap power from the engine
    3. Doesn't sap power from the engine

Cheers,

Drew.

5. hayesey Forum Junkie

cant even see the new Polo GTI being much cop when that comes out really.

150bhp 1.8T but its still the size of a mk3 golf & probably heavier than one.

you're right about the lupo GTI being the last proper hot hatch to roll out of the VW stable. & they're stopping making them pretty soon.

I've seen pics somewhere of the replacement for it, some little thing which was at the time codenamed the "Fox". cant say i really liked it, the idea of it was supposed to be a really cheap car, prices are meant to start at 5k.

think you'll have to hang onto the older dubs for any proper hot-hatch feel.