Driveshaft - J&R - Clonks on braking - ripped CV boots

Discussion in 'Mk4' started by MJA, Nov 17, 2020.

1. MJA

MJA Paid Member Paid Member

Hi!

MK4 Golf - GT TDI - not sure what issue is but about 4 months ago I installed a J&R passenger side driveshaft, new shocks, 35mm H&R springs and new wishbones and ball joints. New discs and pads.

All was fine until about 2 weeks ago where I started hearing a clonk-clonk-clonk noise when applying the brakes. Only audiable from 20mph and below.

Jacked the car up and found the outer CV boot had split and grease everywhere. To me it looked like it had been hitting the knucle (that's where the split was).

I decided since the driveshaft was only £30 i'd put a new one on and as I wasn't a fan of the springs I went back to stock sport spings. Whilst doing that job i re-torqued all the bolts (no problems).

This was done on Friday last week and the car is back to making it's clonking noises on braking from yesterday (first proper drive). I am suspecting it's the CV boot hitting the bottom of the knuckle but will check it out in the day light tomorrow.

I've contacted J&R who have been great and are sending me out a new CV boot. Intially i had thought they were using stretch style boots but they say they don't. It's got me thinking that something else might mechanically be wrong so...

... what sort of stuff can cause clonk-clonk noise on lightly applying the brakes? If i push the brakes hard the noise goes away. Whislt testing i've noticed i've also got a squeak squeak as the wheel turns. Could it be a wheel bearing? Dodgy caliper? Engine/Gearbox mount givign way on brake force? There wasn't any noticable play in the wheel when jacked up.

I'm stumped.

2. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Had a knock on the A4 that thought was driveshaft or balljoint but ended up being bottom arm, garage did that, then it stopped, I sold car, but the guy said knocking had started again, so he replaced driveshaft, still had it, so replaced the bottom arm again and it stopped. Was odd.
    Also had it where brake pads are slack on the slide, and knock when applying brakes, can stretch them with hitting with a hammer.

3. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

It might be brake related - I drive a Jeep Grand Cherokee over here and I changed the brake pads and the car makes a clunk when I brake - I pulled everything back off and checked and double-checked but it's doing it to this day. I reckon that the replacement pads (non-original) are a fraction out size-wise and there is just that minor bit of play that allows a small degree of movement and hence the clunk.
    Might still be worth checking your caliper and frame bolts just to confirm nothing has loosened.

4. MJA

Yeah it is weird, everything is new down there. I'll have to get it up and inspect it. Could be the pads - youtube seems to point to that as well. They are Brembo pads but the discs were Eicher ECP specials. There was odd wear on the old pads - worn diagnonally across the pad and the old disc had an opposite groove to mate - it was missing the spring clip so i put it down to that. Mayvbe the caliper is in need of refurbishment.

5. dodgy

Pads on a4 were brembo, coincidentally. I fitted S4 upgrade to it and only noticed the knock shortly after thinking back. Had it the other way on the mg 4 pots, had to skim the paint off the pads as was just a gnats whisker too tight to return.

6. valvemiester

valvemiester Paid Member Paid Member

my Fabia VRS had a low speed squeal on the brakes but only after it was driven a few miles when they had warmed up no noise at speed over 30 mph I had a slightly sticking caliper and the pads were jamming in the caliper carrier the car used to pull up straight as well ended up cleaning up the carrier where the pads fitted as well as freeing the caliper and all good.

7. MJA

Cheers guys, could be a caliper issue. Car has done 180k and they look original. It also pulls to the left when driving but needs proper alignment as only had the front done when changing tyres.

I have conceded and have my mechanic coming to look on Friday. Can't win them all I guess and I'm not that experienced to be fair.

PS dodgy got those mats today - chuffed :)

dodgy likes this.
  8. dodgy

Glad they arrived safely, and you like them .
    Check the joints and bushes, even though the arm on A4 was a new (and not budget) one the new owner had to replace it within a few months, all the alignment was done on the car in April when fitted the eibach springs etc.
    Thinking of other things, when I replaced rear shocks on A4 I reused the original lower bolts and nuts, then a small knock started, on inspection the bolt had loosened, so new nuts and bolts put in, new nylock sorted. Pinch bolts on the polo front strut to hub are single use too apparently.