Dropped Valve = Carnage! (All engine apart with pics)

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by sambo, Jul 9, 2011.

1. jettadan Forum Member

Sam - if you need any help or space when you get back give me a shout as the garage will be free for at least two months, or even if you want the engine stripped down ready for your return, let me know.

Still feel gutted.....

2. jettadan Forum Member

Don't worry, you'll be helping me put my 1.9L 8v turbo back together when i sort some new rods out, and then theres the Sambo-spec tubular manifold to make :thumbup:

3. Mike_H Forum Addict

Ouch - sorry to see that, Sam! I guess it's an occupational hazard of running massive power though.

4. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

so sorry to see this Sam, trerible thing to happen

reasons for it happening could of been a valve lift? what valve spring were you running?

could you fit the old 3 pistons, and replacment new to the new block

5. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

single groove valves or tripple?
    std springs or supertech (with retainers)?

I have soem spare *used* parts here from mine. I retired my valvetrain and life them anyhows.. so may have some kickign about if I can find them.. (safe place alert!)

6. MUSH Forum Member

Unlucky mate, least you kicked its head in for a good few years before it went pop!!

Be good to see it back even better!!

7. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

Well first time on forum in 3 weeks, chillin back home in Sarajevo :)

Thanks for kind words/support/advice lads, once i get back engine will get built

Dan, may need use of gge i will let you know, cheers bud

Bill, i will get in touch when back regarding spare bits, need to strip the head and find out what parts i need thanks alot

Cheers

8. skoda4x4 Forum Member

Dont forget i have a head here for you if you want it,nice and cheap for you sambo.

9. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

Right, back in UK now so decided to get on with repairing my engine

Took my cams out to reveal all valves collets in place and nothing broken!

So what caused my valve to brake and drop into chamber?

I'v yet to take block apart, just wondering if piston has m,ade bid for freedom and struck valves as all others are bent to?

Few pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

11. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

PM me price again please Steve

12. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

any contact dents on piston crowns?

13. danster Forum Addict

Have the timing belt pulleys possibly sheared their woodruff keys? More often the cam pulley but the crank one can move to.
    Often happens when valve to piston contact occurs, resulting in the valve timing altering to the point other valves get bent.

14. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

Fairly battered Bill, did not pay close attention of particular scars but here is few pics i took back when first removed head

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I will be taking bottom end apart soon so i should have more of an idea what happened i guess

My feeling is that piston hit valves resulting in one braking half way down the stem and dropping in

Dan, if timing moved wont that affect all valves and cylinders?

All others are still perfect

15. danster Forum Addict

Ahh, ok, I picked up what you said in the other post wrongly.

I thought that implied other cylinders had their valves bent too. [:$]

16. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

Nah, just bad wording on my behalf, i ment all others on cyl1

17. bens_cab Forum Junkie

thats not pretty looking at the valves it does look like the piston has decided it wanted to leave the building elvis styleeee

is the head not fiaxable with a little welding ?

18. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

I deffo will not be attempting to fix the head, much rather start fresh

Shame as porting job was very nice indeed

If you want it you can have it bud

19. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

Today i'v taken bottom end apart

No apparent damage to crank or rods so these will be reused when rebuild comences

Am thinking of getting full set of new INtegrated Engineering custom 83mm JE stroker pistons and a Ferrea full valvetrain set inclusive of superiour quality valves and titanium retainers alongside of uprated springs, not cheap at $1000 for pistons and $1400.00 for valvetrain plus shipping and tax but i cant risk another engine failure due to a single broken valve!

Few pics

Removed sump to reveal internalls in very clean condition, oil pickup pipe had bits of piston in it

[​IMG]

Damaged piston no1 on the left, others nearly unmarked, Pauter rods perfect

[​IMG]

Eurospec crank nearly mint to, will have it checked tho and polished for good measure

[​IMG]

Bits of piston crown in the sump

[​IMG]

Once i get all new parts i will post pics of rebuild for you good people and will ask for advise prior to assembly to make sure all is perfect

Not sure wether to order other goodies such as Fluid dampner crank pulley, Timing Belt Gear Dowel Pin Kit, ARP 625+ rod bolts instead of ARP2000 which i have at the moment etc to complete perfect package and make it literally bullet proof

Also not sure if i should have crank pickup wheel spot welded to the crank to ensure it stays attached

Any advice welcome :)

20. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Arnt valve heads dropping off on 20v's fairly common? ...you seen this Bill?

That's a lot for pistons Sam. .I reckon they can be done cheaper bud...

Don't compromise on the valvetrain.