Dropping a 2.0 8v into a 1.8 8v Variant

Discussion in 'Passat' started by Stevecat, Feb 12, 2011.

1. Stevecat New Member

Hey guys!

First technical post here so I wont swear,be coarse,nor generally poke fun at anything quite yet.

Ahem....so then...my beloved Lancia Thema Turbo went bosoms skyward last month and as a runaround I landed me a good ole B4 Wagon for a mere 400 green queens![:D]

Now then,since owning her,a revelation hath happened.The exhaust unblocked itself last week on the A1,and I now love her due to her engine reminding me of my old 8v GTI.

Theres an engine available at present,its cheap with half the miles of my 199k Passat.
    Shes a 2.0 8v.Can I literally drop straight in and plug in,mating to the 1.8 box?Is the loom,ECU and the Box the same??

Hope you can advise young virginal Steven

Steve:p

2. Mifkif New Member

I tried a 2.0 8v out of a MK3 Golf into my B3. The loom was so different it was scary. Basically the B3 seemed to run two looms, one for the motor and one for the electrics. The Golf seemed to have it all in one.

We then had the headache of the ECU as we found out it had an in-built immobiliser. I think pre 95 Golf's ran the same ECU but without an immobiliser.

Not sure how this ties into your B4 as I am assuming the wiring will be nearer to the Mk3 than my B3 was.

Hope this helps, but probably doesn't, lol

Matt