DTA ecu - fuel pump not priming but car runs when cranked

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by timotei1980, Oct 3, 2015.

1. timotei1980 Paid Member Paid Member

Hi,

wondering if anyone has any advice for my problem? Have tried DTA themselves and am waiting for a call back on Monday but thought I'd try here as well.

Basically I have wired my DTA E48 ECU to my Golf Mk2 16v with CE1 fusebox utilising the original Fuel pump relay using fusebox plug terminal D13 to control the fuel pump relay via the ECU.

When I turn the ignition key to position 2 the fuel pump does not prime but when I turn the key further to crank the fuel pump will run and the car starts.

Further investigation reveals the following:
    Removed relay and with a multimeter across relay socket pins 85 - 86 (switching pins) with the Ign on position 2 I only have 9V (not enough power to switch relay). When cranking I have closer to 12V hence why the relay switches and pump runs. If I turn the engine off after running and then turn the Ign back to position 2 quickly I can hear the pump running for 3 - 5 second as the power is still there for that amount of time.

Continuity from relay socket 85 to ECU reads 0 ohms so I'm happy there is no broken wires however when I take a voltage from relay socket pin 86 (Ign live) to earth I get 12V so believe there is not a problem with the Ign feed. So somewhere I'm losing 3V, possibly within the ECU?

Due to making this loom myself I was questioning my wiring so decided to hook up the loom that was supplied with the ECU (all second hand) that I initially ran the car with a few weeks ago just to check everything was OK and I get exactly the same situation.

Sorry its a bit long winded but wanted to get as much info as possible in.

Thanks.
    Tim.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
  2. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Hi Tim

DTA doesn't control that part of the relay, it's built in to the relay. As long as the fuel pump relay is connected to pin 10 on the ECU, and all the other relay terminals are connected as normal, it should work.

My CE2 Golf is wired like this (to an S40), and it primes as normal.

However, it's not critical, it's just used to build pressure in the fuel rail to aid starting. Yours will be fine as is.

Alex

3. beetie

beetie Forum Member

Are all the relays correct?

Plus I think on my megasquirt for my 16v I needed to add a wire from z1 (ce2) on the fusebox to power something. It was either the ecu or the fuel pump.

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the prime feature is something most vw ecus use, but you dont need it as your car starts and runs. if it was a problem with your wiring the car wouldn't run at all so you know the ecu is triggering your fuel relay just fine :) this assumes you have a 67, 80 or 167 relay fitted of course.

ms ecu do have a feature to enable pump prime, but as your car starts and runs fine without it so you dont need to worry

5. timotei1980 Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks for the info.

Changing the relay does not effect the priming of the pump, I have tried 67 (org) and 167 relays as I had spares lying around.

Could this be because I have removed all of the unused wiring from the original engine loom (5th inj, WUR, ISCV, org coil etc...), I've read that on some cars the priming power to the relay comes from the negative side of the coil or even oil pressure switch/light?

Anyway glad it not really necessary

Thanks.

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yeah with the 67/80/167 relay the only way the fuel pump will prime is if the ecu tells it too, its just a switched relay with the earth being triggered by the ecu.

on the kjet cars it seems a bit random if they do or dont, not found any info on what number relays will or wont? you just get some guys that say theirs do, and some that dont. I do have a suspicion that it might be down to the fact on some cars if you switch on the ignition you see a single spark from the coil, this may trigger the relay to fire the pump but then it kills it again as it doesnt see any further coil pulses.

on the ms ecu there is a setting in the ecu where you can set a prime function if you want it, not sure on the DTA if this is possible. But anyway, if the car is happy without it, no need to worry :thumbup:

7. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Could be.
    The black/red wire from the old coil should be connected to the fuel pump relay output. That's pin 10 on your ECU.
    This then runs to the fuel pump relay, which should trigger the relay to prime it.

DTA doesn't do this directly. It does have a function that pulses the injectors when the engine starts turning over. This performs a similair function in removing air from the fuel system.