E10 fuel worries.

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Rustbuster, Nov 10, 2021.

1. Rustbuster

Rustbuster Paid Member Paid Member

Hi volks,
    I’ve checked on the official fuel checker and my Mk2 16v is not listed as do not use with E10. However, I put it into storage over the worst six months of winter where it now sits. I’ve read that the higher ethanol content can cause damage over long term storage? What fuel do you guys run your older cars on? I believe that premium fuel is unchanged by the new rules, so maybe better in future switching to premium?

2. cupracraig

cupracraig Paid Member Paid Member

just fill with super and you will be fine

Rustbuster likes this.
  3. NateS2

NateS2 Paid Member Paid Member

Yeah just brim it with super to be safe as that has the lowest ethanol content. In theory if the tank is brimmed anyway you won't have any issues with corrosion as there won't be enough water vapour in the tank, but using super would be the best option.

Rustbuster likes this.
  4. MJA

MJA Paid Member Paid Member

Rustbuster likes this.
  5. Rustbuster

Cheers guys. Did you always run super unleaded (97-99 Ron) even before E10 was introduced?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2021
  6. MJA

MJA Paid Member Paid Member

Generally I did but sometimes used 95 if I couldnt find any super. I will probably do the same now but add an additive if I put 95 in.

Rustbuster likes this.
  7. cupracraig

cupracraig Paid Member Paid Member

yeah super always helps idle and a number of other benefits

Rustbuster likes this.
  8. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

Super plus all the way if you can get it - It's disappeared from the pumps in Ireland many many moons ago (round my way anyway) and the normal unleaded can cause some pinking issues - I've just realised that both my cars in Ireland were only half full when I left them last month...I'm a plonker!

upload_2021-11-11_8-39-53.jpeg

Rustbuster likes this.
  9. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

RON numbers

You use super unleaded or at least RON98 in a Golf GTI or Golf GTI 16v, as it has higher resistance to knock. This irrespective of fuel blend.
    If you must use regular unleaded fuel or RON95 long term, you will need to readjust the dizzy to reduced the unset of knock at full load.
    This will reduce torque.
    The trend for RON98 followed on with many EU VAG engines, the ABV VR6, most of the multivalve VR5/VR6 24v, the EA113 Golf GTI 30/35/R the EA888.3 Golf R and EA855.3 RS3/TTRS/RSQ3/Seat Formentor Cupra V, if I named a few. All can run on RON 95, but with reduced performance.

Fuel blends.

Currently UK market place unleaded fuel has UP TO 10% ethanol in it. Use of it in the short term will not damage your engine, once you understand the RON rating of the fuel ( currently RON 95 affected) will already compromise engine torque and ignition timing.
    If you then store on older MK1/2 vehicle, with residual RON95/or RON 98 on an E10 blend, it will absorb more moisture than previous E5, which could damage metal components in the gas tank, such as fuel pump vanes and hose connection.

It is important you separate the two features of fuel octane rating and fuel blends, before making conclusions.

I have used the E10 blend in my Golf 2 16v ABF vehicle for a few weeks, during the petrol pump saga, and there no issues what so ever with the vehicle, from cold start to even full load. I am more picky than most on here about engine performance with these old cars, but there was no error state seen.

So go on, if you about to top up and there is no super at the pumps or you running a bit tight on funds ad need a 20 quid to stretch, feel free to use a bit of regular unleaded as before, no issues.

Sirguydo, Rustbuster and MJA like this.
  10. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

^^^ should be a sticky as more and more doom mongers cry about the new e10

Tristan and Rustbuster like this.
  11. Rustbuster

Thanks again guys. I think the main issue with E10 seems to arise when the car is in storage. Mine is, so I’m going down to the storage to drain the fuel. I’ll put a couple of gallons of super E5 in it and run it for 15mins or so then I can clear my conscience.

12. saladman

saladman Paid Member Paid Member

Am I over-paranoid after I put half a tank of E10 in my 87 mk2 1.8 auto GL (converted from Pierburg to Weber carb)?

Tried to fix problem with the Pierburg but after several failed attempts I installed the Weber carb + kit from Eurocarb about 4 months ago, got it running (super rich) for a few weeks. Then had a local garage check the emissions and lean it out a bit.

Usually put half to 3/4 tank Shell 99 in it and drive it like a lazy daily - used 3 or 4 days a week on the regs - but during the fuelMania2021 I put a half tank or so of the E10 bizniz in the old girl.

Recently the old lady's been hard to start after driving for <10mins and parking up. Seems rich or bunged up somehow

Car is pretty standard otherwise and I can't find a list of hoses that may need replacement re: running E10, even occasionally.

Any guidance appreciated!

13. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Shouldn't really need 99 with the carby engine?
    I wonder have you some water in the carb bowl...

14. saladman

Thanks @Tristan I'll check for any water in the bowl - was also thinking there might be some visible gunk if any of the fuel lines have started breaking down due to ethanol exposure. Again probably being overly paranoid.

Thanks @Toyotec for the detailed post about RONs + blends.

Oh, for the glory days of 4 star ;)

Will take a look and report back.

Tristan and Toyotec like this.
  15. KeithMac Forum Junkie

I use Aspen 4 for storage over winter, it's pure Alkylate fuel with no additives at all.

Also use it in my garden equipment (what it was made for).

Very long sorage/ shelf life (years).

Not cheap but I've got £1000's invested in one cars fuel system so cheap insurance.

I drained the remains of the fuel out and put 10l of Aspen in.

20210822_160721.jpg

Jon Olds likes this.
  16. saladman

Interesting thoughts in this youtube vid:

I can't verify or comment on the validity of points made but food for thought

17. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

My mk2 rally car (twin 45's blah blah) wouldnt start after 3 months storage.
    Fired on easy start, then ran rough.
    Stripped carbs, emptied tank
    Water in there, shocking
    Fresh Esso Supreme, its now so crisp you barely have to touch the key to get it going
    Lesson learned
    So all non daily vehicles drained.
    Aspen 4, agree
    Jon

KeithMac likes this.