easiest big engine conversion for an audi 80

Discussion in 'Engines' started by dubber91, Feb 6, 2007.

1. dubber91 Forum Member

Right, got this 1986 audi 80 CL. Its FWD which is annoying, and this is why i am looking to change the transmission for one of the RWD versions (see the transmission forum).

Anyway, i need to change the motor for summat with a little more power. I understand that most VAG engines of that era will fit, so VR6, GTi, quattro, 5 cylinder audi, etc etc.

I dont want to change the engine mounts. The smallest amount of welding possible basically. 'straight swap' comes to mind, but its such an overused phrase. No complex wiring (although something along the lines of K-jet will be fine) and relatively good reliablility (read: no G60 lumps).

So what is the best option, in your opinion, with regards to engine conversions? I figure its really down to a quattro or an audi 5 cylinder, but i am open to further options. What needs doing in each?

Cheers guys

Steve

2. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

what engine currently resides in the car? why do you want to convert a car to the quattro system when you can buy one built by audi?

if its not a 5 cyl and you dont want a massive amount of work forget the 5 cyl idea! why convert you car? just buy one!

as for the v6 option (not vr6) forget that too. or again buy one

1.8t would probably be a good idea.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2007
  3. Lord0pants Forum Member

Steve,
    I know that with Golfs (for example) there are two types of wiring- CE1 and CE2.
    CE2 coming in around 1990...
    Assuming audi electrics are similar (anybody?) you would have issues with the new engine loom at the fusebox...
    For example- if you take a VR6 from a mk3 it uses CE2 electrics. If your fusebox is in anyway different to this (and to continue to use the example of the golf) yours would be CE1 which means lots of wiring diagrams and rewiring the whole show at the fusebox to get it to go...
    Just something to perhaps keep in mind.

That said a VR6 in an '86 audi 80 would be sweet! Goodluck!

4. Collie Forum Junkie

Nitrous Oxide cheap and quick and you can take it from car to car , i know thats not what you asked but its worth a thought.

5. Seraph Banned

you really want to spend that much effort on a 21yr old car!?

6. mexicorich Forum Member

What's the age of the car got to do with it?
    I've still yet to find anything much better than my 21 year old Mk2 8V Kjet!

7. funkbaron Forum Junkie

Say that to everyone here working on mk1 and mk2 Golf's. What makes a newer car worth any more effort? My engine transplant was easily worth the effort involved, and I'd rather drive my Golf than any modern variant.

VR6 isn't really that era and deffo isn't a straight fit into that car:lol:

Last edited: Feb 6, 2007
  8. dubber91 Forum Member

ok so what does? onto the same engine mounts i mean..... Basically i wanna know how easy it would be to fit other audi parts to the car.....
    Ill start again!
    Its a 1.6CL. Uses the same engine as the mk2 golf (pre 90 spec) CLs although with a DT engine code.
    Does anyone know how easy it would be to fit a larger motor from the same sort of age audi, for instance, was there an audi 80 with a 2.3 5 cylinder engine, or a quattro which uses the same engine mounts? Would it also be possible to fit the entire underpinnings and transmission from something like a coupe in a 'bolt on' fashion? If there isnt a larger engined audi to steal from that is relatively simple to bolt on then i wouldnt bother with that route.....
    Does a 5 cylinder not use the same mounts? I thought a VR6 used the same mounts on a golf as the 16V Gtis and big-block golfs, hence my assumption. Space is not an issue in this engine bay!

Cheers for your help guys...

21 year old cars rock:p

9. Mike_H Forum Addict

A 2.0 16v might be a good bet, although it doesn't produce huge power for a big car as standard, but if you're starting from a carb car, it's probably not a small job. If it's anything like a golf, you'll have to change the whole fuel system too.

There's a really good case for changing the whole car here, as with a car that was sold with a bigger engine, you'll get better wheels, brakes, suspension, interior and a load more besides.... probably for less than the cost of buying all the bits you'll need. So think about buying a 2.0 16v Audi 80, and then spending some money on making it go faster (head mods, KR cams, turbo conversion??)

If there are any bits you particularly like from yours, you could always swap them over...

A mate of mine's got a couple of 200 quattro turbos sat on his drive... if you're determined to do it the hard way...

10. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

if it 4 cyl to start and your looking for an easy conversion keep it 4 cyl. im unsure about how the 5 cyl mounts compare to a 4 cyl but i would have thought you would probably need to cut the bulk head to get the 5 cyl eng and box in, more so if you go quattro drive to.

11. dubber91 Forum Member

ok. well there were 5 cylinder audi 80s in the same model spec. The reason i wanna keep the motor is because it looks the crap. This car will be an absolute sleeper and imprompt burnouts will incurr...... I dont mind carbs, so could i go for a 5 cylinder carb model? Saves on wiring.....

Or even a decent 16Ver on carbs?

Steve