Easiest way to wire in a fuel pump

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Mk2 driver 1800, Oct 29, 2021.

1. Mk2 driver 1800 New Member

Hi everyone thinking about fitting a facet interceptor fuel pump on my golf it's a 1.8 8v gti running a weber dmtl carb its currently fitted with a mechanical fuel pump but I'm having trouble with fuel starvation when engine is hot just wanted to know what the easiest way to wire it in would be was hoping to put it in the engine bay as it can be mounted anywhere in the fuel line I've heard they can be wired to the +terminal on the coil ?

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

If it's a gti, there should be dedicated fuel pump wiring at the tank for a pump already.
    While lots of people fit those types of pumps in engine bays, they're really designed to "push" fuel rather than "pull" it, so closer to the tank is better.
    I did similar on a mk2 that I fitted bike carbs to, and put the pump under the floor, in the space a GTI usually has the main pump/filter housing.

3. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

I'd have thought there must be a plug on the back of the fusebox which you could use by getting hold of a fuel pump loom from another car and add the right relay. @rubjonny will know.

4. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Pumps like to push fuel not pull it, if that makes any sense. My old mk1 gti rally car on webers ran for literally years with a facet cube pump
    in place of the hp original, near the tank.
    Note there are differing types and I used the highest capacity one, as it was a bit of a guzzler flat out. Also, beware chinese copies
    Jon

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

what fusebox is it first of all, what you want is a kjet type fuel relay triggered from the rev counter else it wont cut out in a crash which could be pretty bad

Tristan likes this.
  6. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Wire a relay in to power it, but have it so it primes on starter cranking then if oil pressure drops it cuts off, that's how I've always wired facet pumps on stuff I built, it's how the metro turbo among others are,stops pump if low pressure, or it stalls for example so not got a constant fuel supply if ignition is on, also used to wire in crash switch from early 90s stuff, so if do have an accident it cuts fuel relay too, rover 100, 214 etc has them on inner wing.
    I'll see if can find wiring diagram later.

Tristan likes this.
  7. Mk2 driver 1800 New Member

Thanks for the replies it's a 1991 driver with a ce2 fuse box but I fitted a gti engine just using all the old parts from my original engine so just has the one fuel pump on the front of the block

8. rubjonny

Ok slightly fiddly if you want a kjet fuel relay in the fusebox, you need to loop a wire from G1/12 to G2/7 to get the rev counter signal to the socket then pop your fuel relay in. Wire the fuel pump to plug M like factory gti, or run a wire to z/1 with inline fuse

PhilRyder likes this.
  9. Mk2 driver 1800 New Member

This was how my fuel line was I decided to route it round the engine went out for a drive for 10 minutes and on the way back it just died the only way I can get it to go again is to prime it and take the fuel pipe of and let it sit in a bottle of petrol then when its started I put the fuel line on and it starts like normal weirdly I have to do this tried just priming it and using the bottle trick on it's own but it never works

10. Mk2 driver 1800 New Member

20211030_135925.jpg

Attached Files:

11. rubjonny

fuel pump may be weak, filter blocked or issue on the sender inside the tank. start with the cheap things, move up from there

12. Mk2 driver 1800 New Member

I've replaced the fuel pump and I've noticed my fuel filters get dirty quick managed about 15 miles before it cut out managed to get it going and I've left the filter of for now does the fuel get drawn through the sender unit to the engine or is it drawn from the bottom of the tank.

13. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

It's coming from the bottom of the tank. If you're running without a filter you're gonna choke up your carbs.
    Your tank obviously has gunk in it.