Easy engines to fit into a mk3?

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by andy198712, Sep 17, 2007.

1. andy198712 Forum Member

ok i'm looking at keeping my MK3 GTI 8V as is for a while for insurance reasons and also why fit it if it aint broke, also its an ANNIVERSARY so keeping it 100% stock barring lowered

but once this engines time is due and i'm 21 in two years time and insurance is down, what motors fit in nicely?

the VR motor would be nice, but too thirsty, and 16V would also be nice and about the same 8V on fuel i guess, but i dont like the revy ness of the motor, need a more daily driver

i was thinking the 1.8T from a MK4 or audi??

just wondering what were my options to fit into my mk3 engine bay with not too much hassle?

the MFA was showing 30mpg tops maybe a little more if i was really tame, but now i serviced it fully its showing a solid 36 with hihgs of 37 and lows of 35, well chuffed, i know the MFA is poo but it does show the increase after a good service, so the avirge mpg of perspective motors would be nice also

all the best

andy

2. Antichav Forum Member

Anything bar a stright swap will require a bit of work mate, I think 16v would be the one with least hassle, although Im not sure if 8v's have a hydraulic clutch or if thats even an issue.
    VR's obviously weigh a lot more, and you would do well to upgrade your brakes and suspension as would fitting a 1.8T

If you do go down the VR route, you can kiss goodbye to your 30mpg that I know for sure ;)

Why not look at a TDi ?

3. andy198712 Forum Member

its an ANNI, thus nice brakes[:D] and the suspension is upgraded and lowered 40mm[:D]

i've got a soft spot for the 1.8T

a TDi would be nice, but i fear it would be quite a swap?? ie hassle. but a nice 150bhp TDi remapped and few extra would be sweet, idealy i'd like something close to 200bhp to justify the swap for me

but the reason i'm considering it is that its the anni with the brakes already done ect

the only thing i like about the VR is the sound lol

4. Antichav Forum Member

one word.

supercharger.

5. andy198712 Forum Member

on what engine? my 2litre 8V lol

dont fancy the rebuilds, and my motor is on 130k so fancy something sub 100k to give me some happy relieable motoring

6. m47k Forum Member

Tdi would be good, and if your not looking to get it done in the next 2 years a mk5 one would come down in price surely

7. prof Forum Addict

pointless exercise really, just buy an early mk4 1.8T and save yourself about 3K

8. Pete Taylor Forum Member

Surely the anniversarys have the smaller 8v discs rather than the larger 16v and VR discs?

9. Antichav Forum Member

16v and VR have 288mm if I recall>?

10. andy198712 Forum Member

i thought all anni's had the 288's?

it would be easier to get a new car, probably not cheaper mind, the car cost me under a grand, new engine cost? and could sell parts of ol engine, still be cheaper then 1.8T car

but its an anni and i wanna keep this on the road, its a treasure to me and did i mention "anni";)

11. andy198712 Forum Member

yh thats a good shout mate[:*:]