Eaton M90 Supercharged VR6 for Discussion

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by develeski, Oct 30, 2009.

1. develeski Forum Member

Hi

Came across this searching the internet. Got my mind ticking...as i truly admire diy conversions...rather then cheque book motors!:thumbup:

The Eaton M90 off the jaguar ideal for upto 3L. Someone has decided to put one on a vr6 and welded it to the inlet manifold, so its like a supercharged manifold. suppose for mounting purposes
    The throttle bodie is also on the supercharger inlet side. In this situation the engine would be at extreme vacuum til the throttle bodie is open. I have heard that this would make the eaton charger whineless...quiet

[​IMG]

Tryin to work this out??? Can it work this way round?? Discussion time??

I also suspect they are also using the bigger injectors from the same jag too for this conversion, as they go straight in. Throttle bodie also looks different!?!?

2. G-Man Forum Junkie

That looks awesome!

3. develeski Forum Member

on a obd1 the throttle bodie is closed as it idles off the idle stabilisation valve which by passes the throttle bodie. obd2 motorised throttle bodie adjusts itself for idle purposes via the butterfly. However the throttle bodie pictured i suspect is the jag one that matches the charger.
    This set up should mean the throttle bodie butterfly would control engine boost due too the charger being after it??[:[] How would that actuator work correctly???[:[]

4. funkbaron Forum Junkie

An interesting setup for sure...push the accelerator, the TB opens and the charger spins up and it works just fine. I can't see why not anyway, but I'm no expert on forced induction.

5. mashed Forum Member

Have you got a link to the build thread?

Cheers
    Brad

6. mrbeige New Member

Near Ely, Cambs.......but another planet according
    Pretty sure the throttle body will be positioned before the Eaton, as it's a positive displacement charger, thus producing boost at idle. If you didn't do that it'd either idle like a bag of poop, or indeed not idle at all.

Plus it looks like it's a left hooker, as I can't see the brake servo on the left side of that pic

7. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

You can mount the throttle before or after the charger.
    If it is mounted before the charger you will need a diverter to dump the unwanted airflow from the charger to airbox or atmos. The unthrottled charger will be noisy as well.
    There will be transient issues was you increase load from idle to part load to WOT.
    This is the easy way to add a supercharger as the base engine remains largely the same.
    The other method is to mount the throttle pre charger, which may be a bit more difficult, but will result in better transient response and a quieter system. Charger vaccum, between throttle can be used to control a diverter valve during lift off.

8. mrbeige New Member

So what you are saying is that the pre-charger throttle will just restrict the airflow into the charger, and thus the boost that it produces??

I can see the need to divert the boost when the throttle is between the charger and engine :)

Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  9. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Never mentioned throttle or boost restriction if the throttle is mounted pre charger. It would reduce charger noise though.

10. mrbeige New Member

I think I misunderstood [:$]

To confirm, throttle pre-charger, then diverter to relieve boost when throttle is closed/part open?

However, could you use two throttles, one pre and one post charger? I suspect that may be quite difficult to set up correctly.

11. matty golf CGTI Regional Host

just reading this goes all over my head ha ha

12. jims13 Forum Member

these can be made to mount on the aircon bracket on the vr block... they do need a inercooler though, as the run very hot.. at least the one we had fitted did

13. mrbeige New Member

I did see an install of one mounted down there. I wonder if there is room, if you have A/C though??

Oh and I've heard these chargers referred to as Heatons....I wonder why :lol:

14. jims13 Forum Member

no , airconwas junked in favour of more power :)

15. eatonmk2 Forum Member

Eaton's don't like load(boost), the more boost greater the head.

A m62 @ 5psi from 4000rpm to 16000rpm will see temps of 90 to 130F but @ 10psi will hit 180F:o @ 4000rpm and at 16000 rpm 190F which is only a 10F gain.

Eaton's are funny things.

16. develeski Forum Member

I know the M45 and M62 have been fitted to VRs but with no comparsion in performance to a vortech or rotrex. Has anyone fitted the M90 which is from the JAG?

or know of anyone that has fitted the daddy M119 (pretty sure its a M119 but could be M115) from a V8 ( I think JAG also )?

These are the type of conversions that are haunting me at the moment:thumbup::thumbup:

17. Axewielder New Member

M112 is the biggest ive seen, http://www.eaton.com/EatonCom/Produ...roducts/Products/Superchargers/M112/index.htm