eBay turbo's ... Are they bad ?

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by slimwadey, Jul 26, 2014.

1. slimwadey Paid Member Paid Member

My engine should have a Ko3s, but has had a Ko3 fitted
    I will be buying the correct one in the next few months but was wondering if those eBay versions were good or bad
    They sell a Ko3s clone for 208 posted
    The only ones on eBay I can find that are KKK Turbo's are all second hand with play and wear and they still want nearly 200 too
    Should I steer clear of the eBay one ?
    How much Is a real KKK version new ?

Here is the one I was looking at
    Item No 321417323164

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

I looked into a cheap Ebay Turbo when doing my conversion.

IMO, There is a reason they cost a lot less. I`ve Googled Chinese Turbos, I see photos like this
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You don`t see photos like that from Genuine Turbos.

But and it`s a bit but IMO, they are NOT as well built, the metals used aren`t as good, heck, I`ve even seen examples where the intake housing was 2 pieces glued together !

I`d rather buy a used, Genuine turbo, replace the journal bearing and thrust bearing if necessary. They are non-spinning parts, so won`t disintegrate like that.

I`d chosen long ago NOT to fit something I know might fail from the off, it`s false economy of the worst kind IMO.

If you save 200 on a turbo, but it takes your engine with it if it fails, it is worth that 200 saving ?

There may be LOADS of good quality ebay Turbos, but I wasn`t willing to risk it.

Richard Mk2 likes this.
  3. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Yep, Nige is right, stay away from these eBay turbos. At the price they are at, its quite tempting when on a budget, but I'd personally hold out and wait for a genuine K03s to come up for sale.

They do tend to pop up a lot in the classifieds on here and eBay, but you've got to be quick. :thumbup:

4. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

Listen to the lads and comments above

When it comes to Turbo-s only ever use genuine ones unless you enjoy fixing your car more often then not

Turbos are precision built instruments that see extreme conditions all the time and if they are made from inferior quality parts and metals they will fail, end of

Richard Mk2 and Toyotec like this.