Ecotec valve anyone?

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by VwGtTdi, Jul 19, 2006.

1. Dono Forum Member

i had one on mine - got to tune it so the reed sound just about fades on idle - but it did ar$e all to fuel and performance and on over run sounded tha last dreggs of water draining down the bath plug.

2. jambo_017 New Member

well guys im sorry to say that mine actually works, i have a mk2 gti with a mk3 2.0 tall block conversion it has forged pistons, lightenened flywheel, piper 385 cam piper and adjustable pulley plus every other goodie you can imagine on this engine, after the eco tec valve was fitted it not only sorted the emissions out but sorted the fuelling too and the car run quicker through the rev range, by sorting the emissions it aloud the car to breath more freely and not get choked up atall my car runs lumpy as hell as it is and this sorted it right out, perhaps not on cars that arent set up properly or not enough bhp! but mine runs on optimax only and is running a nice manageable 178 horses!:thumbup:

3. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

What it`s actually doing is masking a problem somewhere...probably timing related... ;)

4. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

so your car was running too rich and this adidtional leak fixed things..

Its a waste of money on engines which work properly

5. 3hirty8ight Forum Member

Fail... :lol:

Piper 385! Blimey!

6. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

i noticed that too^^

must be where the extra horses come from

7. G-Man Forum Junkie

I'm looking at the ecotek valve I have in my room right now, how the hell can it help the engine breath more freely?!? Its a tiny bit of wire mesh not much more than 1cm in diameter; its no induction kit by all means plus i got mine which was fitted to someone elses mk4 1.8T and it made fudge all difference!

I might try putting this on the VR6 just to find out myself whats it like on an older engine :)

8. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

get it on ebay theres one with 15 bids on it

9. G-Man Forum Junkie

behave :lol:

Nearly every forum on the is either mocking them with the odd person praising their worth for MPG.:lol:

10. G-Man Forum Junkie

Bored at lunch so read their test data document - very interesting to say the least.

The conclusion from the prodrive lab test states:

The fuel consumption reduction is maybe not as apparent under these test conditions with a reduction in the order of 1 to 1.5% on each vehicle; however it does confirm that the unit is of benefit, even under tight test procedures. In general open road driving it is quite conceivable that these gains may be significantly increased.

1-1.5%?! A mk4 golf 1.8T averaging 30mpg over an average 12k a year will save 30 a year based on 1.5%. So at a cost of 50 brand new, JUST to break even using micky mouse maths above you'd have to cover 20k miles which is around 20 months.

But in basic sense, if you get 300 miles from your petrol tank with an ecotek you'll get an extra 5 miles! :lol: You'll save more fuel coasting down slip roads and coming upto junctions and it won't cost you a penny.

The other performance report i took no notice as they did 2 runs of each of the 3 cars in both standard form and 'modified'; hardly a great set of results to go by and noticed that with the 2 timed runs in each state some of the runs had a 0.5sec difference in standard format.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  11. jettadan Forum Member

I fitted one i had spare to my MK1 - made sod all difference to the mpg, sounded horrible and ruined the brakes as it was plumbed into the servo pipe as explained on the website.

I removed it again and used the Pipercross filter on my oil catch tank, where it does the job perfectly:lol:

Must check ebay to see if its worth anything - 'rare, retro' accessory maybe.........:lol:

12. G-Man Forum Junkie

My mk4 looks like it might have been a victim to one at some point so as the cut is already in the line i might slap it on for a laugh this weekend as i do the same journey day in day out so i'll see if i notice any difference at all as whats the worse that can happen apart from waste 10mins of my time fitting it? :lol:

13. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

so if i put dis on mi turbo wood it aloud it to get 420bhp...i want it to breath bettah... :lol:

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  14. G-Man Forum Junkie

178hp on an 2.0 8v? That 63hp gain on the standard 115hp they come with must have some mental tuning to get that gain?