EFI Hardware Throttle Bodies

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by theboysmiffy, Oct 23, 2015.

1. theboysmiffy

theboysmiffy Paid Member Paid Member

2. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

When you say sort out your fueling what do you mean?

3. theboysmiffy

I want to ditch Kjet and run throttle boddies or carbs. Jenveys are out of my budget so I am trying to find an alternative. I was looking at bike bodies too but there is the fab work involved to make them work whereas these would bolt straight up to a dbilas inlet.

4. Peter Jones Forum Member

Those are made about 20 minutes from my house. I've had a tour of the factory and seen those being made.

Nice blokes with a real passion for product development. I've bought a fair bit of stuff from them over the years. Mark down there is a long term VW nutter and racer.

https://www.efihardware.com/

5. theboysmiffy

Thanks Peter. I think these look my best option within my budget. Hopefully I want get hit at customs!

6. Peter Jones Forum Member

Only thing to watch with these is that you'll have to weld the injector holders into the manifold.

Nothing wrong with that, you'll just need to factor in the cost of machining and welding.

7. theboysmiffy

I was going to use the Dbilas manifold that already has provision for injectors or have I overlooked something?

8. Peter Jones Forum Member

Nope, the Dbilas option sounds good if if it's already setup for the injectors.

9. theboysmiffy

I am probably pushing the limits of my mechanical knowledge/abilities with this conversion so sorry if I confuse things!

10. Toyotec

Are you planning on using an ABF/ADL fuel rail/injector system?

11. theboysmiffy

They do a kit that includes the fuel rail and injector bosses, not sure if this is the best solution. Any input would be great though. I'm guessing VW rails could mean less fab work?

12. Toyotec

VW plastic rails and injectors are a limitation to fuel flow. ABF injectors are rated 225cc/min and would have to switch to a Nissan SR20DET units at 370cc, if you plan on pushing the engine past 200bhp.

13. Peter Jones Forum Member

I would have thought you'd be pretty lucky if the injector spacing was even close enough to original to use the ABF injector rail.

Because I now run e85 my injectors are 646cc Siemens units, I was running the same ones on the 105 ULP. Engine is making about 220Hp as a guide.

injector-63-lbhr-646cc-14mm-Siemens_1502.jpg

14. Toyotec

630cc I use in my turbo 16v. Injector duty is only 65% at full chat with rich AFR to cool things down.

15. Peter Jones Forum Member

Good point, I'll have to look at my duty cycle now. It was only just tuned for the e85 last week.

Fuel pressure is at 60PSI and I'm running sequential injection.

A little off topic but all good things for the OP to consider.

16. mickey marrows Forum Member

I was planning on getting a set of EFI Hardware throttles too, but when I did a realistic cost calculation that included the price of the throttles, shipping, VAT, import duty, cost of a manifold, manifold shipping, injectors, sundries, blah blah blah it didn't work out much cheaper, if at all, than buying a set of DTH's..

Its something to think about. :)

17. The ANT Forum Member

I don't know much about these but you know what you're getting with jenvey and at power throttle bodies quality is second to none (my dad's race kitcar uses at power throttle bodies on a civic type r engine, they are impressive but aren't cheap). I'd save up and get what I trusted. I speak from experience with old cars. (1978 chevette rally ish car) "cheaper isn't always cheaper"

18. Notso Swift Forum Member

EFI hardware are excellent quality, Ironically they are not considered cheap in Australia, but a premium - Jenvey are the same cost to import (10% GST for local vs 0% VAT as an export/import), so they must have adjusted his price point. Although those are the compact ones that is incredibly afordable for a full kit, what computer will you use to drive it?
    Have these laying around,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Nothing like OBX, mind OBX are incredibly cheap

19. theboysmiffy

Thanks for all the replies. The engine is a 9a with kr cams, 4 branch, 2.5" system. Will be rebuilt to a higher spec when funds allow, so shouldn't have to worry about fueling for 200bhp+ for the meantime.

I have spoken to Badger5 today and they are going to send me some costs for their kit so I can see how it compares cost wise as Mickey suggested.

The original plan was to use Megasquirt as again it seemed good value. Not sure what the benefits of something like Omex would be over this set up.

20. Toyotec

Megasquirt ECU build quality is down to the person who built it and the quality of the installation.
    I few of us run that system on here and, while most of these run pretty reliably in the installations now, it was not an easy road to train up the users to fully understand the system and those users are pretty advanced.
    With OMEX, DTA and Emerald, build quality is more consistent as you would expect from a consumer product and there is support.