EGR Blank plate fitting

Discussion in 'Diesel' started by Brookster, Jan 25, 2010.

1. Brookster

Brookster Paid Member Paid Member

Fitting a EGR Blank Plate to the Octavia VRS PD170 Engine today.

The job takes 2 mins and stop all the nasty exhaust gas contaminating the inlet air when you let you foot off the pedal.

EGR Blank Plate
    [​IMG]

PD170 2.0L 16V Turbo Diesel Engine (Common Rail High Pressure Direct Injection)
    [​IMG]

You can see the metal pipe on the right is the exhaust gas return pipe from the exhaust manifold, this has a valve that opens and recirculates the exhaust gas to reduce emissions when you take your foot off the pedal.
    [​IMG]

Remove the 2 hex studs from the flange plate.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

studs removed ready to insert the plate between.
    [​IMG]

Plate fitted between the pipe and inlet body
    [​IMG]

Studs refitted job done less than 2 mins
    [​IMG]

This also stops the inlet manifold getting all suted up with Oily soot which will over time reduce performance :thumbup:

2. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

Nice build / how to thread :thumbup:

Have you had any EML lights on yet, when I done the Mk 5 the ECU picked up the lack of gas flow straight away!

I'll put it back when i sort out the mapping to suit

3. Brookster

Yes EML just came on this morningc after i've done 50miles , Phatty's gunna call with laptop and have a play :thumbup:

4. aidanb22 Forum Member

[​IMG]

Is this the setup you have on yours? I would be very suprised if a, the ecu will let you get away with a blanking plate, and b, if egr still has the same effect on the intake as it did on older mechanical injection and even pre common rail.

The older types (and I assume these latest types) were recirculating at idle and part throttle, so driving style and fuel quality play a big part in sooting up.

5. Brookster

i will post my results , the EGR requires disabling on the VAGCOM Apparently as i have been informed by my friend. :thumbup:

6. aidanb22 Forum Member

I didn't realise that image didn't come up, its here, the click the full size link.

I'm very suprised the latest models can still have the egr disabled.

7. Brookster

Very interesting 2 xEGR Valves

HP EGR

&

LP EGR

[​IMG]

Hmmm time to do some more homework.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  8. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

I've all read seen one of these fail....

Brookster, your likely to have one of these on your engine, it;s basically a long EGR cooler with a vacuum operated flap. one side is a straight though pipe and upper side once blocked off will pass the gasses though the cooler half (cooled off engine coolant)

I'd be interested if you can C/O basic setting / adaption to allow the later technology to offset the warning light, i've not looked into it yet

the fault your likely to see is the EGR no though gas. Its able to detect this because at idle the air values passing though the Air Mass Meter is doubled. ECU has a hissy fit in panic !

I'd told on decent remap this can be solved by telling the egr to stay shut.

9. aidanb22 Forum Member

I should say that was stolen off the tdiclub and they have massively more strict emissions on diesels there, this may not apply to your car?

10. Brookster

Yes the US are alot more stricter on Emission from what i was reading on the TDICLUB Forum last nite, which i am now a member [:D]

i think this is an interesting topic that is going to need some serious homework :thumbup:

My end result is that i am hoping to get the Octavia PD170 over 240BHP .

11. aidanb22 Forum Member

Worth finding out the spec of the BTCC turbos and nozzles, just reading the head and block is standard despite making 280PS/450nm. They also do it with a DPF in place, and must also have EGR though it'd probably never be in use, would be nice to keep all the emission stuff in place.

I would also reckon as its 16v CR, the nozzle will be in a similar position and angle as many other 4v/cylinder engine, so upgraded nozzles may be available from another car (535d?) rather than expensive aftermarket

12. Brookster

Taken the Blank Plate back out and the EML has gone out now.

i will be at Chipwizards on the 6th Feb for the club rolling road day, so i will get more info of them regarding Mapping etc. :thumbup:

13. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

both 8 & 16V's have the injectors in the same location in the head more or less (centre pointing down)

the above engine is not a PD block but the common rail VW have finally introduced [l] still many people developing maps for them including removal of DPF

I've been on ClubTDI for years, it was very quite back then!
    should see you there, look like I'm at the north west rolling road day as well!