EGR Flex Pipe 1.9TDI MK5

Discussion in 'Diesel' started by MattyGTI, Nov 12, 2010.

1. MattyGTI New Member

Hello and HELP!

Ok I have a 1.9 TDi Mk5 Golf, for a while I had a whistling noise coming from the engine which soon turning into a whooshing noise!
    At MOT time the mechanic had a look to where the noise was coming from and found the EGR flex pipe has a crack in it, its the bottom pipe, which makes sense as the engine now has a covering of soot on it! found a couple of part numbers one being this

Lower pipe
    OEM part number: 038-131-521-CC

but cant find it on the old interweb, where is best to get VW parts? other than the dreaded VW garage and being totally ripped off!

First thing! where the hell so I get one from? I have searched and searched could anyone please point me in the right direction?

Also today as unfortunately I still have to drive the car even though it sounds like a giant noise making machine, was on the motorway slowly accelerating up to 60 or 70 and the noise stopped and there was an instant loss of power, like the turbo had decided it didn't want to play any more. Now the car still runs at the min but the turbo isn't playing at all. I have done some searching on this and it appears that more than likely due to the cracked pipe there is an incorrect boost from the turbo and so the computer is deactivating the turbo, and once I have restarted the car this will be ok, but it will keep happening so i need to do something ASAP!

Obviously I need to replace this bloody pipe and hopefully the new problem today will go away!

all help appreciated with thanks

2. MattyGTI New Member

just an add on after bit more looking i think that above part number is for a MK4

3. m1keh Forum Member

Dealer only part to be honest. Go in and see, it might not be as expensive as you think.

4. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

The part no, is actually 028 131 521, according to Vagcat. No price available though. Probably about 20-30 at a guess.

5. gigaz Forum Member

the part number is correct 038131521CC shows up in etka as being the connecting pipe for wide range of VWs
    about 60, but my price list is a bit outdated

btw, also buy 038131547A and 069131547D those are the proper OEM gaskets, about 3 each

why don't you take the pipe off, take it to a local welder and see what he can do about it ;)

6. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

it's not a flexi pipe but solid, with a flexi effect for some give in it during fitting / noise management?

unless damaged, I'd say gasket or just loose - even more suspect if the turbo/EGR cooler has been off/replaced

7. MattyGTI New Member

hi guys

thanks so much for your help here

i was considering taking it off and going the welder route, went to VW and they didnt seem to know what pipe it was! but the one i think it was came out at 85!

8. MattyGTI New Member

Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  9. aidanb22 Forum Member

A properly functioning EGR does not cause any issues or loss of power, though if I could find that pipe very cheap at a breakers i'd blank, but there may be a fault code because of it

10. gigaz Forum Member

thats why I didn't mention it, if you get a way to disable that function on the ecu, you can take all that egr stuff out.
    can you take a picture of the leak and post it here?

11. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

mk5s need a remap to cut block off EGR, or warning light comes up;)

that part is the one, never seen one split - only loose

12. MattyGTI New Member

this is defo split! :( i will try and get a piccy of it, have messaged a couple of people on ebay who are breaking MK5 TDi's in the hope they know what im on about and they have the part!!
    from what i can tell its not a hard job to replace it? just a pain finding it

thanks for your help so far guys