electric window probs

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by southwest_16v, Jan 3, 2004.

1. southwest_16v Forum Member

ok here is no.2 problem today (no.1 in the engine forum). the electric windows have long packed up (2dr 16v,factory fitted). again, are there any specifics/common faults to look out for as its bloody cold i dont want to be outside dismantling and starting from scratch unless i really have to [:^(]

2. harry_the_cake Forum Junkie

First check for power at the switch (fuse etc).

If you have power at the switch, operate the switch and listen to the doors for a quiet noise, like a motor trying to turn. This should indicate power reaching the motors. To double check this, turn the lights on and see if they dim when you operate the switch.
    You should really pull off the door cards and check power at the motor connection.

Common faults are rust motor spindles in the motor body (can be fixed). Also rusted window mechanisms.

May be electrical, may be mechanical, may be both.

Tip, the MK2 switches are the same as old rover switches, so that may save you a bit at the breakers if you need new ones.

3. jprocter Forum Member

What rovers mate?

Cheers

4. harry_the_cake Forum Junkie

The really horrible rust bucket type ones that look a bit like this.

[​IMG]

200 series I think.

YUK!! [xx(]
    Edited by: harry_the_cake

5. southwest_16v Forum Member

ok have put a multi meter to the cable connections just by the motor, its showing voltage but not enough to light up the 12v light on the 'meter. what next ? how do i remove the motor etc ? [:s] [:s]

6. harry_the_cake Forum Junkie

Mmmm, low voltage. Switch earth perhaps?? Or maybe just a back feed through something. Have you checked all the fuses.

Before taking anything out, get a peice of twin wire and connect the motor to the battery, to see if it winds up and down. The motor/mech may be fine.

7. southwest_16v Forum Member

ok am admittedly not good with electronics, if iwire the motor directly to the battery, how will i operate the window up and down? sorry to sound so stupid, i need idiot guidance in some areas as this is my 1st golf with anything fancy i.e e/w etc :lol: