Electrical issues MK2. going crazy UPDATE and its looking bad

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by antinkariba, May 14, 2008.

1. antinkariba

antinkariba Forum Member

Right, this morning I went to start the car (MK2 1.6 92 model) and it was dead. Nothing on the dash and no lights. I noticed that the indicator stalk was up, so I guess I must have knocked it when I got out last night.. I also noticed that the windscreen wipers were half way up the windscreen, I then jump started the car, but once I started it, the horn went crazy, the windscreen wipers and the rear wiper started, all the lights were on, the indicators came on but did not flash. I turned the lights on and off and it made no difference, so I eventually pulled the horn fuse out, and the wipers, gave it a min and then put them back in but it still did.

Any one got any Ideas,

Last edited: May 18, 2008
  2. antinkariba

antinkariba Forum Member

Do you think if I disconnect the battery and then re-connect it it might work? (like turning off a computer and turning it back on?)

Also could it be the ECU?

3. pigbladder Forum Addict

sounds more like melted wires under the dash...drop the fuse box down and have a quick look

any burning smell near the fude box?

4. antinkariba

antinkariba Forum Member

Yeah, I did smell something this morning. Which worries me even more now!!

5. seanlikesfood

seanlikesfood Paid Member Paid Member

if it is burnt wiring it is not as daunting as it may seem! Locate where the damage is and then just replace, Check all your fuses are the right rating though and try and find the reason why they melted/burnt in the first place! Could be because of the jump start!

6. antinkariba

antinkariba Forum Member

True,

I did have some wires burn before, I will check it out this evening and see.

I did check the fuses this morning and the appeared to all be ok. What would the likely cause be for something like that. I did leave the indicator stalk up, which left the lights on, and i guess killed the battery.

I did smell the faint burnt smell before we jumped it.

Makes me so cross.

7. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Possibly old/dirty contacts in the indicator switch caused a local hot-spot, gradually getting worse as soot builds up and plastic parts melt [:^(]

8. antinkariba

antinkariba Forum Member

Well that doesn't sound pretty! But I will check that out too. Bloody car.

9. Steve B Forum Junkie

if it burnt might be worth investing in an auto electrician to take a look, dont want to fix it all for it to happen again.

i had an alarm fitted in the past, and a while after i was routing around in the fuse box and there was a massive spark, where he had uncovered some bear wire and not recovered it.

10. nickh89GTi Forum Member

Mine had this same problem. Found it to be where the alarm had been wired up for the hazards and had burnt out a couple of wires to the indicator stalk and fried most of the earth wires which earth at a block under the dash above the fuse box.

Spent half a day removing the alarm and replacing all the fried wires. Job done and all has been sweet since :).

11. antinkariba

antinkariba Forum Member

Update

I found out what it was, behind the light switch one of the wires going from it has completely burnt out and melted part of the switch. The wire was bare and was broken off from the rest of it. I have some pics but will get them uploaded as soon as the computer will let me.

So I need to order a new light switch and then replace some wires and I think we should be ok. I will also check out the relays and stuff.

Does this sound like it was the problem?

12. nickh89GTi Forum Member

Could well be. I know my mate has a problem with his light switch always managing to set fire to its wires. Last time was pulled by the cops and were talking to him at his window and flames started coming out from behind the switch :lol:.

Once you have replaced all the burnt out wires check that all your sidelights etc work.

13. Dono Forum Member

when ur doing ur loom and light switch, inline fuse it, mine popped last week thank god.

14. Dono Forum Member

also ment to ask, that brass earth connection above fuse box, where is it suppose to clip/sit, as mine currently lives onto of my fuse box

15. nickh89GTi Forum Member

There is a little bracket with a slot cut in it for the lip on the back of the block to clip into.

16. Dono Forum Member

so it does just slide onto the top of the fuse box, i kept looking at the bodywork.

17. nickh89GTi Forum Member

Sorry mate got a bit mixed up :lol:. If you drop the fuse box down look up towards the top of the bulkhead and you should see where the earth bracket/block goes.

18. antinkariba

antinkariba Forum Member

These are some pics of what I found...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pain in the ass this is, I have however ordered the bits I need, i.e new light switch from VW, and will be going to the scrappies to get a connector block for the switch.

19. antinkariba

antinkariba Forum Member

Check out what I found when I took the dash apart to get to the wire...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Its burnt a;ll the way back to the fuse box. The wires have melted together so I cant even tell which ones which.... [:^(] [:^(] [:^(]

Looks like auto electrician time......

20. muppet9966 Forum Member

Sorry to hear about your problem antinkariba.

Where would the inline fuse go? What pin on the light switch?
    10A one would be fine I guess?