Elon Musks Starlink...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Zender Z20, Feb 9, 2022.

1. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

Our broadband download is 2mb (yes, not a typo... two) and that's on a good day so you can understand why I put my name down for the SpaceX Starlink when it was offered in our area.

That was last summer and got an email tonight saying it's just become available if I still want it.

Anyone else already have it, can give some insight into the actual ownership experience?

2. saladman

saladman Paid Member Paid Member

Not sure where you are but have you tried hotspot from a smartphone? (assuming you have one)

It's not perfect but I get faster speeds doing this than the broadband to our house which is madness.

3. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I've got 1gb download and 5g, so no worries here [:D]

4. Zender Z20

Do, do that when the Wifi drops so low that nothing works, though the most that can usually be got is up to 8 Mbps, trouble is it's very location specific and doesn't work in quite a big part of the house.

Had a survey done for (non-Musk) satelite Wifi, but apparently no line of sight to the nearest tower available. If you think Starlink's expensive look at the prices they charge.

Openreach are claiming we'll get fibre sometime "before 2026", had similar promises made before and all came to nothing, so will take that with a pince of salt.

Even it happens, not prepared to wait.

Believe me I've sounded out all the options, Elon's the last hope!

5. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

You could move house... Then you could have more garages too!

6. Zender Z20

Oh Happy Days... 240 Mbps straight out of the box and that's it sitting on the ground. Can only get better, engineer roof mounting it next week!

starlink box.jpg

NateS2 and Sirguydo like this.