emissions and fuel consuption

Discussion in 'Mk4' started by tylerjamez, May 5, 2014.

1. tylerjamez New Member

hi there ive just bought a mk4 2.0 gti thats got milage of been to the moon and back... emisions its killing the ozone... 10.5 idel etc and engine code fault 16518 .... ive changed the lambda sensor before the cat and still the same ..... ive been told maybe try cleaning MAS ? if that dont work whatelse should i try? ps the computer on the dash saying fuel consuption is all over ... one min 24.0 mpg next 64.0 mpg im guessing thats something to do with it? any help please
    cheers tyler

2. kellyclan

kellyclan Forum Member

you really need to hook it up to vagcom computer, that should point you straight to it imo, however it sounds like a combination of things & not just the one. you could try cleaning the MAS this will only help, I'd full service it, get it re-tuned then see where your at. on the computer where you say the mpg is all over, it is supposed too do that it gives you a reading of what the car is achieving at that particular point, go through the computer again & there is the mpg setting that will start off at 0 and build up as you go, I also run with it on this setting. hope ive been a little helpful mate. by the way welcome along!!

3. R4MP4GE75 New Member

Hi there I was just wondering if you had got to the bottom of this because I seem to be having the same problem. The car starts fine and seems to run ok for its age and the mileage it has done (160000) but my fuel consumption has increased dramatically. This all seem to start after refuelling at a supermarket petrol station that I hand never used before. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

4. carpmandaz1970 Forum Member

i had the same problem took car for an mot the guy doing the mot was a vw nut he told me to change my lamba sensor which cost me 30 problem solved i now get 35mpg round town and 41mpg on the motorway which aint bad for a mk4 golf turbo