Engine Codes

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by Millhausen, Jun 18, 2016.

1. Millhausen

Millhausen Forum Member

Firstly I appologise for the real noob thread/title but I'm struggling to find my code. I also appreciate this may not be a Mk3 specific question but as I'm looking for it on my Mk3 I thought it was appropriate I ask in this forum.

I'm looking to order a new rocker cover gasket for my 1996 16V Mk3. I know there are 2 versions of these so don't want to order the wrong one as I need to get the parts collected and changed in the same day.

I know WHERE the code is on the block, but it looks like it's corroded that much that I can no longer read it. I've used a screwdriver and even squeezed a wire brush in there but no such luck.

I guess my question is: Can I find the engine code elsewhere on the block or in the bay, or is there another method, ie using the reg?

Cheers in advance.

2. snozan Forum Member

3. Millhausen

Millhausen Forum Member

Thanks for the link, it shows the breakdown of the engine great, but I think I have read that there are 2 different gaskets, one with steel core and one without. I also need a timing belt and tensioner so would feel more at ease know 100% what my engine code is.

4. BennyC Paid Member Paid Member

Surely it's just an abf code engine?

5. snozan Forum Member

I think you mean the headgasket when you say "steal" because yes, that one have a steal base. Rocker cover gasket is rubber, there is no steal in that one ;)

6. Dougie Paid Member Paid Member

Hi,

I think benny's right in that the mk3 16v engine code remained 'ABF' throughout the run, but in general terms this model has the code of the original engine on the data stickers. One of these is in the service book, and the other in the boot, either on the floor under the mat or on the rear panel between the light units.

Apart from being stamped into the block, the number of an individual engine is also shown on a bar-code sticker applied to the timing belt cover.

7. Millhausen

Millhausen Forum Member

First of all, I really appreciate the replies.

Yes, they are all ABF, but there is a series of digits that follow the ABF, and this relates to the production date, as far as I am aware.

There are earlier and later ABF engines. Nowhere I look for parts refers to month/year of production, but they do ask for the engine code. I appreciate it's not the end of the world ordering one part to find out it's the other, especially when there are two options. I just hate to start a job without the right parts and more so hate the time it takes to send things back and forth when I can get the right part the first time.

Dougie, I will check the boot to see if my sticker is there as I didn't get the service book with the vehicle.

Snozan, I do mean the rocker/cam cover gasket when I am talking about the material they use. From what I can gather, there are 2 types. One which is 'rubber' and the other which is steel/some kind of metal. There are also 2 different cambelt tensioners from the information I can gather online.

I can source the right parts for my engine using the various links I have found online, it's just that they all refer to the engine code rather than month and year of manufacture, which in my case is an issue.

Thanks again for the replies. I will see if the sticker in my boot is still eligible.

8. snozan Forum Member

Then therre is something i dont know and i thought i knew it all about MK3 (like to read alot and find information).

I know for fact ABF comes with Digifant 3 and Digifant 3,2. But thats only for the injection/fuel injection system. I even checked ETKA and they state same rocket cover gasket trough out the years.

This is what i could find about ABF:

2.0 R4 16v 100-110kW

identification
    parts code prefix: ???, ID codes: ABF, 9A
    engine displacement & engine configuration
    1,984 cubic centimetres (121.1 cu in) inline-four engine (R4/I4); bore: 82.5 mm (3.25 in), stroke: 92.8 mm (3.65 in), stroke ratio: 0.89:1 undersquare/long-stroke, 496.0 cc per cylinder
    cylinder block & crankcase
    CG25 grey cast iron, five main bearings, die-forged steel crankshaft, forged steel connecting rods
    cylinder head & valvetrain
    cast aluminium alloy, four valves per cylinder, 16 valves total, double overhead camshaft (DOHC)
    aspiration
    cast aluminium alloy intake manifold
    engine management
    Siemens 5WP4 304 (Golf & Ibiza) CIS-E, or Bosch Motronic, or Digifant (ABF) engine control units
    DIN-rated motive power & torque outputs
    9A: 100 kilowatts (136 PS; 134 bhp) @ 5,800 rpm; 180 newton metres (133 lbfft) @ 3,500 rpm (CIS-E & Motronic)
    ABF: 110 kilowatts (150 PS; 148 bhp) @ 6,000rpm; 180 newton metres (133 lbfft) @ 4,800 rpm
    applications
    SEAT Ibiza Mk2 GTi16V. (later Cupra), SEAT Ibiza Mk3 Sport, SEAT Toledo, Volkswagen Vento, Volkswagen Golf Mk3 GTI16V and Volkswagen Jetta GLi 16V to 1992

9. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

easy to check what you need, look at the rocker cover fixings. if it has bolts it early one, if it has studs and nuts its late

snozan: you need to look at etka a bit more closely ;)

go into golf 92 -> main group 1, illustration 103-048. click part 17, and note the chassis break shown for the early gasket 027198025 and late gasket 051198025 :)

This also applies to the other 16v engines, 9a, 6a, ace, adl etc.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
  10. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

As said above there are two types.
    Providing your engine has the original cylinder head, your cam cover gasket will be as this one.

[​IMG]

Applicable from engine number -> and the after market Elring # number included.

[​IMG]

Hope this helps.

11. snozan Forum Member

Am not greater than i can admit i had wrong :thumbup:

12. Millhausen

Millhausen Forum Member

Been away for a while. The mounting method has been the most descriptive distinction so far, without taking it apart of course. Will check in the morning and get ordering! Cheers!