Engine 'coolant' frozen solid - advice?

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by RobC, Dec 19, 2009.

1. RobC Forum Member

Using a different garage. As per post above, after flushing the system and filling with antifreeze, it was getting very hot after a short journey. This turned out to be the waterpump, which is being replaced tomorrow morning along with the cambelt. Thought I might as well seeing as it's been almost 3 years since the last belt change.

Don't have the garage space to do the job myself (and I'm not doing it outside!) so I've no choice but to fork out. I also need the car next week. I've replaced a water pump before on an old mk2 and all I can remember about that job is lying on the driveway swearing a lot.

2. Supercharged Forum Member

Yeah it's much the same job on the Corrado but the charger is in the way.... so as you say it's a good time to do the belts and maybe get the charger checked?

3. The db

The db Forum Junkie

Sounds about right. I remember finishing the job with skinless knuckles!

Anti-freeze needs changing every 2 years or more often than that if the winter months are particularly cold.

4. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

G12++ is a lifetime antifreeze, a lot of them are nowadays - but what are the chances that you won't be draining the cooant system within 2 years anyway!

5. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

been about 12 months for the golf now... woop woop!

6. monkeyzoo Forum Member

Pessimist! My old 1.8 GL froze solid over about 5 days! Started her up and after about 5 mins realised something was wrong when steaming water ****ed out everywhere. Popped 2 core plugs but everything else was 100% fine! Thankfully.

Granted I could have been very lucky, but considering the ice can't pop the union on the pipe to my outside tap then I would consider it unlikely that any major damage could have been caused if core plugs haven't even popped.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2009