Engine Coolant Leak - GTI Mk V.

Discussion in 'FSI (inc. GTI 2.0T)' started by yatesy, Nov 29, 2010.

1. yatesy New Member

Hi all,

Looking for some advice if possible. I'll be honest, I don't know much about engines so apologies if this is all run-of-the-mill stuff. Anyway...

My beloved '05 GTI is leaking engine coolant which at the moment, is requiring top up's every 2/3 weeks. My driveway is a mess through all the coolant my poor car is depositing! I have contacted my local VW specilist but he cant book me in until 14th December, and has diagnosed a possible radiator issues (a common fault on VW Golf's and Audi A3's apparantly). The only problem I have is - I am due to be making a long journey at the weekend and was wondering if I should even risk taking the car? A friend has said that it should be fine providing I take it easy and keep a spare bottle of coolant & water in the car.

Advice please! Would anyone risk it? What's the worst thing that could happen? Should I try and get the car looked at before the trip elsewhere? Also, any ideas how much a radiator replacement is?

Many Thanks. :thumbup: