Engine Cooling Fan Control Module (mk5 golf 1.6 fsi)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by Vento Mike, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Vento Mike Forum Junkie

Does anyone know where this is situated, if it's an external module and how I can find it with ETKA!

Not too much to ask:thumbup:

Thanks in advance.:)

2. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

Whats it worth?

it's built into the fan unit, large one if theres 2 fitted, small fan acts as a slave

3. Vento Mike Forum Junkie

Built into the fan, blimey! A family friend came over because she had an engine light on and the fan would suddenly start running after the ignition was turned off. I looked at the codes and the coolant sender was gone as was the fan controller, I followed the wires from the fan but got a bit confused because I couldn't see a module, having it in the fan would explain the four wires going to the controller I suppose. One I presume must come from the ECU, the ecu turns the fan on as appose to another temp switch on the rad?

There are two fans but only one runs, I presumed the other fan was for a/c or something.

Thanks Crispy do you know if it's a common fault this car is a 2004:thumbup:

I owe you one!

4. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

as yes I may of seen this before, 4 wires - heavy 2 power & other 2 ECU for control & feed back hence fault!

if the small fan is not working thats the fault, you need the manufactures version - spin it and a part number will be printed on the out side on the fins. if not back of the unit visible without removing unit ( sagam & vdo-Siemens)

dust gets into the fan unit and seizes it, it has trouble turning and gives up!!

new unit is on the card :(

5. Vento Mike Forum Junkie

Ah your a legend mate, I'll take a look later if I get chance! Bet thats going to be cheap[xx(]

Better than the answer that another garage had told her was at fault being the tune of a new ECU....I looked at a wiring diagram I had and there was mention of a seperate module so I knew that was Bull/S!:thumbup: