Engine cutting out when cold

Discussion in 'Engines' started by jonsmith, Dec 1, 2003.

1. jonsmith New Member

I have a 2000 VW Golf 1.6 (mk4) and in the last few months in the cold weather it has been difficult to start unless I pump the accelerator pedal a bit. I can hear the engine turning over but it wont start straight away. Also, when the car has started and is still warming up (first 15mins) it tends to cut out when falling back down to idle revs, for example when I approach a junction and put the clutch down.

I took the car to my VW dealer and they charged my 100 to change the coolant temperature sensor. I beleive the car is starting easier than before however it is still cutting out at junctions which is very annoying. I thought it would be simply a case of modying the engine management system because it's idle speed is not quick enough when the car is cold.

Has anyone got any ideas what could be causing this? I am reluctant to take it back to the VW garage.

Many thanks,
    Jon