engine cutting out when down changing gear/stopping......help!, 2.0 8v digifant

Discussion in '8-valve' started by UKJr87, Jun 20, 2009.

1. UKJr87 Forum Member

so ive just racked up a good 1000 miles of motorway driving in my 2.0 8v mk2 running digifant within a week, and the past few times ive taken it out now, when i dip the clutch to change down a gear or to brake to a stop, the engine sometimes cuts out....it appears to only really happen when ive slowed down enough to want to change down to 2nd. on downchanges the car burbles and pops alot (got the idle and CO mixture set up by a garage 2 months ago so it should be set up OK - although it does smell of petrol alot.....) and i noticed that as i downchange and engage the gear (always appears to happen when changing into 2nd) that the exhaust sometimes pops alot and simultaneously the battery light on the dash comes on as if the engine is cutting out, and then as i fully engage the gear the engine kicks back in, however if i then dip the clutch then itll cut out....

when the car is parked with the engine running, i can blip the throttle really fast to try and get the engine to cut out, but it doesnt even come close to wanting to cut out....its only when im downchanging (aways seems to be going into 2nd)/coming to a stop that the engine cuts out, even then it only happens sometimes....

what kind of problems causes these engines to cut out? and why would it be occuring after my 1000 miles of motrway driving when it has never done it before?
    cheers!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2009