engine fault code readers

Discussion in 'Passat' started by richard s, Dec 29, 2010.

1. richard s Forum Member

my wife bought me a autel maxscan vag405 for christmas but it will not comunicate with the car other than resetting oil/insp light it says link error
    the book that came with the scanner says that it is probably that the vehicle doesnt support the modules but the car has a diagnostic port so surely it should have some diagnostic abilities
    should a 1997 1.8t passat aeb engine have diagnostics or not

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yep that'll have full diagnostics, sounds like the unit you bought doesnt support your car

3. richard s Forum Member

cheers john
    i plugged it back into the car last night again and it read airbags and auto hvac
    i have just had it plugged into a 2003 passat and it read everything apart from the central electrics then plugged back into mine and it will read airbags and aircon and oil/service but nothing else
    i have emailed the supplier and am waiting for a reply

4. rubjonny

has it got an aftermarket stereo? i recal some mk4s haveing diagnostics issues due to the stereo or something

5. richard s Forum Member

it does have an aftermarket stereo how do i get round that if thats the problem apart from removing the stereo
    the seller has been in contact and said i can return it and he will send me a new unit out :thumbup:one of the screws that holds the lead into the unit will not reach its screw point but the lead feels secure with one screw. i may as well let him change it as it was designed to have 2 screws holding the lead in
    the 2003 passat i did the scan on had the standard stereo fitted but the scanner wouldnt connect to the electrics for diagnostics

6. rubjonny

try unplugging it, if you can access all the diagnostics then theres your problem :thumbup:

7. richard s Forum Member

cheers john i will give it a try when it is light before i send it back :thumbup:

8. richard s Forum Member

i couldnt wait till morning so i went out and man handled the stereo out as i couldnt find any removal tools plugged the scanner in and it still only connects with the same sections as before

9. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

This is an China made OBD2 tool that claims to speak in KWP2000, ISO9141-2 and Can.

The 3B AEB European controller speaks in KWP1281 via K line which VAGCOM and more expensive tools can speak in as an alternative. This means sadly this tool will not work.

10. richard s Forum Member

cheers mate
    the guys whos passat i plugged into has sent me a text saying that he has done some searching and has found the tool does petrol from 2000 and diesel from 2003 onwards [:^(]
    i will be contacting the seller again as it is advertised as works with vw from 1990 onwards and it even lists the passat as one of the vehicles on the box. very misleading
    i will be asking if they have any readers that will work with my car onwards and if not i will be asking for a refund
    thanks again for all the help and replies

11. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Get a refund. I saw that as well, but then checked to see which protcols they listed and there is a disconnect.

12. richard s Forum Member

if he doesnt have any readers that will work with my car and i get a refund what would be the best thing for me to get that will do diagnostics on my passat and newer vag cars upto around 2005

13. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

If you want an easy-to-use portable code-reader as an alternative to VAG-COM (ie, you can keep it in the car for times when you`ve no access to your laptop), then you can`t get much better than the V-Checker Pro.

[​IMG]

I can guarantee it does everything VAG from the mid-90`s to brand new.

A lot more than just a code-reader too. It emulates the old VAG 1552 scan tool, so does a lot of the adaptation/measurement stuff that VAGCOM does.

Fantastic value at around 75-80. :thumbup:

Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  14. richard s Forum Member

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  15. StuMc

Yeah, the V-Checker is KWP1281 compliant. :thumbup:

I originally bought it for my `98 Polo, and now use it on my `97 Mk3. My mates have used it loads too on stuff from late VR Corrados to new Polos.

Also done scans on workmates` cars ranging from an old A8 to a brand new A5.

I got it from Awesome. :thumbup:

16. richard s Forum Member

i contacted the seller again asking for a refund expecting to get fobbed off but they have offered a full refund or if i wanted i could let him know what vehicle i have and he will see if he has a scanner that is compatible for my car :thumbup:
    i have sent them the details of my car and will see what they come back with and take it from there

17. richard s Forum Member

18. StuMc

This. ;)

Then, pay just a few quid more for one that was specifically designed for all VAG cars (except Octavias it seems, oddly...) and definately works. :thumbup:

19. richard s Forum Member

refund is the next message to the seller
    octavia is on the list of possible next cars though