Engine history

Discussion in 'TSR Performance' started by MK1-Gti-sean, Mar 1, 2011.

1. MK1-Gti-sean New Member

Might be a long shot but i have just bought a mk2 golf gti 8v that has no history with it,due to it all being lost during a house move.The previous owner said that it had one of your engines fitted?The block is blue and i just wondered if you used that colour on a standard rebuild or your upgrades?

Many thanks.

2. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

What engine code does it have? Just below cylinder 3.

3. Admin Guest

GTI engineering used to paint their blocks blue so it may be an older conversion? It may have been an engine fitted later as you would've noticed a slam panel plaque with that info on.

One definite way to check is to have the rocker cover off and check the cam for markings and also the camshaft bearing caps they will have a marking stamped into the side like '88 07 10' for example this denotes a date code that GTi engineering used.

Matt.

4. MK1-Gti-sean New Member

Finally managed to get outside to take a look and ended up having to clean alot of crud off:o
    From what i can make out it's P5 162 567.And there is also something else engraved underneath it which is TSR? 130?.The ? marks are numbers or letters that i cant make out[:s]

Cheers

5. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Hmm, well it looks like a PB engine (P5) which is a Digifant ECU'd 8-valve, circa '87 onwards.

TSR engines tended to come with names rather than numbers though that number could correspond with a TSR record, perhaps?