Engine mods and V5C

Discussion in 'Insurance chat' started by jrgibb, May 8, 2014.

1. jrgibb

jrgibb Forum Member

Hi,

Just curious anyone who's done an engine conversion eg 2L declared the change for the V5C?

If they have whats the impact on road tax cost?

In theory there's a can of worms there with insurance if its not done? [8(] J

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

road tax not affected unless it was a 1.3 before, then it will go up to the over 1.5 tax rate. you need to have documentation for the engien change, a recipt with engien number on it or document from garage that did the work or whatever, the full infos is on the dvla website. had all the above grief when i tried to change from 2.0 8v to 1.8 16v temporarily, once i got the letter back i stuck 2 metaphorical fingers up at them and left it till the abf went in :lol:

3. jrgibb

jrgibb Forum Member

Yep, I read the web site, seems a lot of fuss, more thinking in terms of insurers arguing that the car is illegal and without the correct V5C in the event of a big claim despite you having declared mods. Mine'll be obvious to any assessor with half a brain when he pops the hood and sees twin carbs at the front plus numerous other changes. Think I may be chasing shadows, however wonder if anywhere in the small print with declared modified car insurance there's a warranty that the V5C must be changed??

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

would be best to ask your insureres on that one but my thoughts are if you have it all declared they cant really moan?

for the paperwork shouldnt be too hard to get what you need I doubt they bother to check too deeply into whether say, some garage leterheaded receipt is actually genuine...

jrgibb likes this.
  5. Tony@Greenlight

Tony@Greenlight Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

Hi jrgibb,

Whilst you're supposed to inform DVLA of material changes to your vehicle (colour, engine size etc), speaking purely from an Insurance perspective, providing you have declared the change to your Insurer you would have met the disclosure requirement for the respective Underwriter.

Meaning you're on the straight and narrow with your Insurer.

You'll probably find any modifications you've declared listed upon your Insurance documentation (application/statement of fact/proposal form etc), but if they're not listed just make a quick call (which is likely to be recorded) to clarify - note the time of the call and who you spoke to in order to be safe.

Kind regards

Tony

The_bug likes this.