Engine movement

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by PhilRyder, Nov 21, 2023.

1. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

I wasn’t sure where to put this, maybe technical but here it is.

When we went for our rolling road it was noted by the tester (who is an experienced motorsport engine builder) that the front of the engine was lifting by about an inch. He didn’t think this was good and said it was because the mount was not “holding on to the engine well enough”. He suggested an engine brace to reduce/prevent this. He indicated it could run from the shock tower down to somewhere near the front of the engine, the lower and further forward the better. However, as we all know there is no gap between the chassis leg and the engine so going through there is a non starter. There are two bolts on the side of the engine where the original TT brace bracket was but it doesn’t seem like there would be enough angle to the shock tower from there?
    Where could I put a brace? Would a better front mount sort the issue?

These are the brace bolts.
    IMG_2120.jpeg
    Possible brace positions? The bolts already on the shock tower look helpful?
    IMG_2121.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 21, 2023
  2. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

I am not sure the tester is experienced enough with a 3.2/2.8 VR6 conversion or MK2 cars generally to make that comment. The engine will have movement on the rear and and front crossmember mounts, to stop unacceptable NVH from buzzing you in the cabin. I would like to see what he is talking about. But I guess it's nothing but normal movement.

3. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

Thank you for that, that’s reassuring, especially knowing your expertise/experience. You are right, he is not a VW man, he is mainly Ford. There are many conversions out there done exactly the same way as ours where there have been no concerns raised, hence the lack of solutions on-line I suspect. Also, I don’t think it is a major issue for normal/fast road use. Just was a little concern for it to be raised.
    I’ll see if I can get a video although it may not happen just on stationary revving I suppose.

Toyotec likes this.
  4. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

It looks dramatic because you never see that when driving. It is normal.
    Gave some observations on your thread. The test you did highlighted some important lackings.

PhilRyder likes this.