Engine Number Data...

Discussion in '8-valve' started by Zender Z20, Jun 19, 2023.

1. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

Quite often when you're looking up part data it'll quote the chassis numbers between which it's suitable for, occassionally on engine specific parts they'll quote the engine number range also / instead.

Have looked and there's some piecemeal info. about but nothing you'd call a 'go to' site or data base (that's on the inter-web and freely accessible at any rate) that I can find.

As an example, I'm thinking of general info. such as the date the PB engine commenced, the commencement number and the date it ran to / final number.

Anyone bookmarked something that fits the bill?

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

non that I klnow of, you want a dealer or someone who has ETKA to get stuff like that

3. Zender Z20

Pity... it's the from / to dates / numbers for the MK2 EV ('85 made GTI if it matters) I was interested in.

You've likely guessed it's for the GTiE engine from another thread.

They must've over written the VW number with their own stamp and years of corrosion later it's hard to make out clearly.

I've an idea of what I think it says, but if that turns ends up being outside the correct range then I'll know I'm wrong.

4. rubjonny

5. Zender Z20

Is that total production or just for 1984?

If all the numbers were allocated, they must've made almost 27000 EV engines in just 8 months, some going!

6. rubjonny

just for 84, is your engine in that range? or tell me what you think the number is, and I'll see what year ETKA thinks it is ;)

7. Zender Z20

The last two digits are gone unfortunately, though I'm hoping the shop doing work on it may bring them back after being in their rust bath.

I'm making an educated guess the block was made mid to late 1985 based on the cylinder head... it's December '85, but could always predate it meaning it's an early '86 one. The GTiE work was done June '86 according to their marks.

Is 09****** in the block number range?

8. rubjonny

september/october 85 by looks of it:
    Clipboard01.jpg

Zender Z20 likes this.
  9. Zender Z20

Spot on, you've nailed it!

Looking like the numbers that are there I've read correctly and it's likely the blocks manufacture fells mid-way through Oct ' 85, cheers.

Incredible to think that they'd pumped out 135K EV blocks alone in 18 months