Engine to gearbox stand

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment & Fasteners' started by Cressa, Nov 6, 2022.

1. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

What do people do?
    I have an engine, on an engine stand and need to fit the clutch and gearbox, but.....
    The gearbox end is the part of the engine that fixes to the stand. So I realise I have to take it off of this but what do you put yours together on so that you can still move it around.
    Maybe I just need a pallet on castors, but I am wondering what people of experience use

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

I mount stand to the rear side of the block for that reason.

3. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

That seems the most sensible way to go. I will look at that and any boly locations tonight

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

I have a handy little pallet thing with wheels, as its nice and low i can wheel it all the way to car before transferring to an engine hoist

5. watercooled Forum Member

Same here,I made mine a little higher so I could put my jack under it to put engine back in, also used it to refit my gearbox after clutch replacement.
    I have the old KR sitting on it now and can just wheel it around when I need more room,just some heavy plywood ,some 4 X 2 and 4 bearing castors ,cheap and very handy.

KeithMac likes this.
  6. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks gents. Some great idea for me to work on. Getting the jack under is a top tip

7. KeithMac Forum Junkie

I normally have the engine on a hoist, fit gearbox next to car and fit engine back into car.

Have it all ready to go and it doesn't take long.

Saying that a palet trolley sounds a good idea.

I had to get the engine through the house so a bit limited with options!.

8. TonyB Paid Member Paid Member

That's true, bolt to the block. They call it the knob, that bit bolts to the block....for obvious reasons. Never made one, but there are a number of mounting bosses on the block to take a plate, so easy enough to make.

I tend to build the engine on a stand and fit the clutch....the better stands have clearance for that, and then drop the engine on a dolly (sort of square flat tray with a castor at each corner) to move about and add gearbox and ancillaries etc. Got a load here, mostly 50 x 50 angle and dexion etc. Most came from John at AudiGolfHits workshop back in the day.....name from the early days of VW tuning back in the distant past!

KeithMac likes this.