Euro Car Pars - Please read !

Discussion in 'Quality retailers & Supplies' started by nickvw, Feb 16, 2004.

1. nickvw Forum Member

bought a head gasket from them last week, fitted it no probs, Came to starting up, everything still ok. fiddled with cam timing as you do. Then I noticed the engine was overheating with water coming out of the exhaust. [:s]

I initially thought I had done something wrong, so I removed the head again only to discover the head hasket had some of the holes where the water would normally pass through were missing [:x]

How P1ssed off was I. I am going to take it back tomorrow and play hell [:x] [:x]
    Edited by: nickvw

2. Andy947 Forum Addict

No sympathies :)

You should always check the parts against the ones you remove - to simply assume they are correct is daft.

3. nickvw Forum Member

I always do check them, I even had the old gasket with me, You just don't expect to find one or two blank spaces were there should be holes.

Makes you wonder who makes them.

If you would have spotted that before leaving, you are a better man than me :lol:

4. Andy947 Forum Addict

Maybe not before leaving - but i would have set the two gaskets on top of one another to check them - always do stuff like that just to make sure.

5. DAVE 2227 Forum Junkie

Hindsight is a wonderful thing [:s]

6. chrismc Forum Junkie

Yeah, I dont think you should have to match gaskets up to ensure they are the correct fitment... ;)

A company as large as ECP need to sort out their quality control instead of supplying stuff that isnt up to the job... [:x]

Its fairly elementary if a standard mk1 GTi H.G is wrong...The car has been around since 1980/81 in 1800 guise so you would have thought most places could supply a decent H.G for them [xx(]

7. Rahul Forum Junkie

...i mean if halfords can do it.....anyone can!

8. Rahul Forum Junkie

oh come off it! get real, if you get a head gasket with a mk1 gti label on it or the correct part number and it is wrong then you have every right to complain!

9. chrismc Forum Junkie

I agree with Rags!

Seems to me, a number of people you come into contact with on this forum get annoyed by your anti-everything comments.

If you aint got anything good to say then don't bother. SIMPLE :clap: [:x]

10. Andy947 Forum Addict

If you dont bother to check that you got the right part then dont complain!!!

I always check thats it the right parts i got before i fit them - there are so many variations, and changes, aswell as packaging mistakes - it only takes 2 secs to check!!!!

Such as who??

They aint negaive comments - people only respond to complaints and problems - why b other posting about how a part you bought was correct???:clap:

Edited by: gbolton

11. HEARDY Forum Member

I've got to say i'm with you on this ANDY ;) I work at a garrage and it becomes second nature to check parts before i fit them.You can't relie on somebody else to get the right parts all the time there are too many varations in parts and models of cars !!

12. Andy947 Forum Addict

Absolutely - dont ever rely on getting the correct part - it takes 2 seconds to check, and a heap more time if its the wrong part and you havnt checked.

Dont get all preachy if you get the wrong part.

13. VR6Will Forum Member

[:?:] well....

hmmmm, think the point is that such a common part like this should be correct first time round, im not agreeing with anyone if they do or dont check parts first, personally 9 times out of 10 i do, but its that 1 time it'll probably be wrong when really it shouldnt!
    Edited by: gbolton

14. Andy947 Forum Addict

Yeah i get the point - but from experience you dont ever assume you go the right part - it goes for everything - you should always check it with what you are replacing.

If you are one of those types who is gonne cry cos i said you should have checked then i dont care - i hope you get every part wrong you ever order!!!:lol:

Fact is it takes 2 seconds to check the old part with the new, and all the hassle would have been saved, all be it a bit more time in getting a new part that was correct.

15. HEARDY Forum Member

16. VR6Will Forum Member

that is what everyone is here to do, learn from experience and from each other, there really is no need to be aggressive towards one another that isnt the point of this forum
    Edited by: oakgreen88

17. Andy947 Forum Addict

Exactly - my point was to make anyone reading this threa not assume that they have the correct part.

Its happened amny many times in the past on the forum that people have fitted wrong parts, simply cos they havn't checked them.

Wasn't being aggresive as you put it - just stating the fact that a simple 2 second check is all tht is needed.

:)

18. chrismc Forum Junkie

Well as usual Andy, ure diplomatic Scottish attitude has shone through..... [xx(]

The guy has obviously posted what he has, to warn others into not making the same mistake.... :)

Not expecting the likes of "No sympathy" & "Go Fuck yourselves" to appear in the thread..

Your initial comment is hardly constructive & then once again you excel later on.....

"If you are one of those types who is gonna cry coz i said you should have checked then i dont care- i hope you get every part wrong you order"....

Na na ne na na....How old are you???

19. DAVE 2227 Forum Junkie

Is that a general reference to Scottish people or what?

20. nickvw Forum Member

I used to call people from up their Highland F*uck wits,

And Andy 947 is one of them.