Excessive camber - the dangers...

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tyres' started by StuMc, Jan 19, 2011.

1. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Here`s a quick snap of what happens if you run excessive camber, regularly break traction due to excessive applications of torks, and feel the need to show cheeky Beemer drivers how a roundabout should really be taken.

You have been warned... [:$]

[​IMG]

2. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

How much do you call excessive?

3. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Excellent! :clap:

Now stop Scene strecthing those tyres boy! Thats the reason yours tyres failed! (Not really, lol :lol:)

Gurds

4. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

failed where the weakest point is, where te should and side wall are joined, it over heats, the rubber becomes soft and then the air pressure makes the hole in the soft rubber.

I would also be looking for a puncture or low pressure as unless you were running mad camber or running close to the weight of the tyre then you would need another factor to start the fail process

5. danster Forum Addict

Time to grow up McStu and leave the stupid modifications to the next Darwin award nominees.
    Imagine that had blown out on the motorway at high speed causing an accident and taking out someone's loved ones. You would get the book thrown at you.
    I seriously think it would be wise for CGTI to distance itself from condoning this sort of modification as being anywhere near acceptable.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  6. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

My Passat knocks the inner edge off the fronts. Only a degree and a half of camber, but it's done a few. Wishbone bushes later checked changed and I can still see it doing it.

Usually I've got spare tyres lying around anyway, so I just swap them and put the tyres on the stack for the Field Car!

Needs a full geometry check, but it had been Dunlop gauged before.

Answer must be Mk3/Passat suspension: rubbish!

7. danster Forum Addict

Why are you running 1.5deg neg camber on the Passat road car? [:s]

8. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Because I iz not into the straight line shizzle! It needs to corner on the B-road twisties!

9. StuMc

About 3deg.

No stretch here... ;)

Your quite right of course. No argument. And exactly why I posted the pic, not for kudos or anything, but to highlight what can/will happen if run your car with such a setup. :thumbup:

What I should have also highlighted was the importance of regular tyre checks. Something I`ve been negligent in these past few weeks.

I`m normally religious about checking them, and they get binned at the slightest sign of the edge coming off them (40-50 for a pair of good name part-worns at a local tyre place makes it simple.), but I`d just let them go too far this time.

This! ;)

I`ll stick some new tyres on today, run them till May by which time they`ll probably be done in, another set just for Curby, then get sensible...

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  10. StuMc

It started out as a small puncture caused by exactly that. I stopped at a set of lights and everything was fine, then when I set off it was apparent it had deflated whilst I was sat there.

It was midnight, Green Flag were going to take an hour to get to me, and I was less than a mile from home, so I figured a slow crawl back (<20mph) wouldn`t do any `harm` other than to rip the tyre apart, as it obviously did.

11. mk216vrick Forum Member

ooops. And we were only talking about them on sunday. You better be quick to the tyre shop, im going saturday! U okay to get some or will you need a hand? (transporting) Rick

12. StuMc

I was thinking that at the time... :lol:

Stuck the Cab wheels on it for now, so no worries about getting to the tyre place. Thanks anyway! :thumbup:

13. mk216vrick Forum Member

okay stu. Dont leave it 2 long or cabby will need tyres! Hehe

14. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

I run crazy camber on the widetracked mk2 just to avoid rubbing with RA's, cant actually wind the collies up much more and Iv hacked at the arches with the angle grinder. I do check my tyres often and only do a few miles a week in it but your pics makes you realize how bad it can be if ignored thou!

15. StuMc

As I say, exactly why I put it up. If at least one person has taken note, then I`ve done my job! :thumbup:

Obviously when running part-worns, you have to consider that they won`t have worn at the same rates, particularly if they haven`t come from the same car.

This is the off-side tyre that was fitted at exactly the same time as the other (about three months ago) and shows very little wear so far;

[​IMG]

Outside edge;

[​IMG]

Inside edge;

[​IMG]

And the offending nearside wheel. As you can see it is very much more worn overall (and, yes, it`s a different tread-pattern which did concern me, handling wise, when it was fitted but proved to be a non-issue, thankfully;

[​IMG]

Inside edge;

[​IMG]

There`s a couple of dings in the inner rim, but they don`t look like they`ll be a problem, and should be easily straightened out;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. jimk04 Forum Member

looks lie they've been rubbing on your shocks?

17. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

part worns will be part of the prob... no idea what the laste owner did with the tyre... running it up a kerb can do enough damage to the inner unseen structure to start a fail, or cheap pap stuff can easily fail due to poor quality control...

I run 1.3 deg on Mels arosa and if I could be bothered to wide track the mk2 that would be running at least 1.5, my old mk1 ran 1.5 too, its a good compromise between wear and handling and straighline grip.

also always fit matched pairs of tread patterns on a axel, its just not worth the rick or hassle. (if theres a crash and its due to a blow out or the investigation team are called out then tyres are the first thing to be checked, even down to if the valve caps are there or not, and if they are a matched pair on the axel etc)

18. danster Forum Addict

That is because the weight of engine and lardy driver puts more pressure on the OS tyre, giving it more grip than the lighter NS tyre, which in turn cause the NS one to be the one that scrubs the most.

How long will it be till the scene starts running castor? That way you will not scrub your tyres to bits with excessive neg camber whilst driving in a straight line. Ain't no body roll when the steering is straight. What limited castor there is on a mk2 Golf running 4 stud will never get rid of the excess neg camber on the inside wheel whilst turning.
    I suppose folks must think they are driving a three wheeler when they turn a corner. :lol:

19. Mike_H Forum Addict

Tyres + excess camber = Scene Tax Payments [:D]

I'm not surprised the kerb-side went first... it's all that bad boy drifting U iz doin' at tha roundabouts.

Incidentally, how much more does a diesel lump weigh than a petrol engine? Extra strain on front tyres maybe, compounded by camber settings?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  20. StuMc

Who are you calling `lardy`??... [:x]

It`s funny, cos it`s true... [:$] :lol:

And I`m already all castor-ed up dontcha know!