Exchanging KE Moronic for K Jet

Discussion in 'Corrado' started by Dozza2k5, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Dozza2k5 New Member

What is needed? Not to fussed on the motronic system, have changed nearly everything and can't seem to get it spot on, this is not a deffinate but I do like the look and simplicity of k jet and am curious what would be needed, obviously the metering head but what about an ecu, loom etc?

2. lewp91 Forum Member

kjet doesn't use a ecu, think manual injection like carbs... you need the fueling pump, you need the right size injector caps in the head too, (i believe they're a couple ml smaller than standard injectors), you basically want a kjet donor from someone who's removed kjet from their car, what engine is it?

3. jonlikescad Forum Member

Which Corrado comes with Motronic injection? I'm confused... [:|]

4. corradophil Forum Member

2.0 16v

5. corradophil Forum Member

KE-Motronic can work well. If I were you, I would stick with it. Can you list exactly what you have done so far and what problems you are having with it?

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

its covered in detail in the US bentley:
    http://www.race.nangreaves.com/golf/index.htm

if you want to go back to KR managment you need:
    corrado kr engine loom
    ecu
    isv control unit + loom (sometimes isv loom unplugs from engine loom at fusebox, sometimes not)
    metering head
    wur plus fuel lines
    2x kr coolant temp sensors from side of head

you dont need to change the main lines or the fuel pump, or the injectors and their fuel lines either they'll swap right onto the kr metering head. same with the inlet manifold can be kept.

tbh rather than doing all the above i would swap in an abf and run it on the full abf managment, its just about the same amount of work at the end of the day. have peeps queuing up to buy the 9a off you, especially mk1 owners

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  7. dUff

dUff Administrator Admin

I used the KE-Motronic for a quite a few years in my mk2 with the 2.0 16v , you can use VAG-Com to check things and i also used a 1551 machine on mine when i had problems , but it was very reliable and never really gave any serious issues . i even had a schrick cams in mine

8. Dozza2k5 New Member

Sorry for the brief description, yes its a 2.0 16v 9A engine, looking at whats needed I might actually stick with motronic, I've replaced the metering head, lambda, coolant sensor, next is to clean up some earths points, try another ecu and then who knows

9. dUff

dUff Administrator Admin

What problems are you seeing ?

note K-Jet is designed for a engine that runs a lower compression ratio
    KR = 10.0:1 5.0 bar fuel pressure
    9A = 10.8:1 6.2 bar fuel pressure

So you can have fun getting the combination of hot start conditions and the optimum ignition timing for power , when you run 9A and Kjet and hearing the engine knock up hills on hot days

This KE system runs at 6.2 bar so fuel pressure is critical , on mine i rewired the fuel pump
    to ensure zero voltage drop and added new fuel filter . Mainly for performance.

It popped flames when you let off when being driven very hard , it also ran on crap supermaket fuel and hot start was perfect and ticokver was ok , very Unlike the Kjet hot days on track made for some horrible starting , but Kjet tick-over was easier to adjust and hence get perfect for aftermaket cams.
    But i am sure the warmup regulator mod would improve things on K-Jet for hot starting with the ignition timing correct .

But KE has altitude compensation and knock sensors so i can run crap fuel and do laps of the ring all day with no knock:-)

I also ran a Passat ECU and for track use a Corrado ECU with a MRC chip in it

In standard form the Corrado ECU was later and had more VAG com features and the tickover was better on the Corrado ECU than the passat

But as above the ABF is a better system engine wise and management wise , i am doing a ABF swap in a mk2 at the moment , mainly because there are more of them about and they are cheaper

When i had my mk2 rolling roaded at stealth Vince did say that they don`t like this KE system as its pain to fix when it goes wrong

10. Mike_H Forum Addict

It does on a 16v - ignition only.