Exhaust manifold gasket?

Discussion in '8-valve' started by hypojam, Sep 9, 2008.

1. hypojam Forum Member

Hi, gsf don't seem to list an exhaust manifold gasket for for my mk2 gti? am i missing something here?

And another question, how easy is changing the exhuast gasket, can someone give me a quick guide just for the procedure of getting to it?

cheers:)

2. Dr Zoidberg

Dr Zoidberg Forum Member

phone GSF and ask cos they should do them, if not ECP do them. I've never done one myself and it looks like a ****er to get to especially with the inlet manifold in the way. I'd say take off the inlet manifold so you'll need that gasket also (I may be well wrong though). The other thing to note is that the exhaust manifold bolts will be rusty and are prone to snapping, give them a good soaking with some easyease or something similar beforehand hth.

3. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

It's an absolute pain in the bum to be honest. I would seriously consider whether it is worth it, is it just blowing slightly?

4. t'mill Forum Member

Had mine changed last November as the car was gassing me to death with fumes and it was making a tappety noise.

Took it to a garage and this is the breakdown of the bill :-

1) Strip off injection system.
    2) Strip off inlet and exhaust manifold.
    3) Replace gasket.

90 labour.
    5.27 gasket.
    +16.67vat

Total 111.94.

So as you can see, for a stupidly cheap part, the job is a bit of a pain to do and costs a good ton [:^(]

5. Blue MK2 Forum Member

Remove the inlet for sure. I even removed the downpipe and tilted the engine forward slightly for more clearance.

This ment undoing the two rear engine mounts. It is one of the worst jobs on a mk2 but if you can afford to pay somone then do it. Me...im a cheapskate and dont trust heavy handed mechanics on my motor :lol:

6. Flipper Forum Member

I'm doing mine 2mro, hopefully all goes well.
    I'm going to try and avoid taking off the inlet manifold as i dont have the gasket for it and everywhere will be shut by the time i finish work at 6 lol.