Exhaust Noise dB limit

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Polog4tracer, May 26, 2006.

1. Polog4tracer Forum Member

Hey guys,

After being pulled and issued a ticket for causing 'unnecessary excessive noise from the exhaust' on my girlfriends Mk2 G40 (which is also a trackday car), we've decided to not pay the fine and say up urs to the law. This may mean it goes to court. All we did was cruise by at 55-60mph, and was partly off throttle at the time (you could still have a normal conversation in the car and hearing each other was not a problem too).

If she pays the fine, it means by law we have to go out and spend nearly 300 on a new exhaust thats quiet and restrictive.

But I wanted to find out what is the official noise dB limit for an exhaust on the public highway, bearing in mind some rally cars are damn loud too and road legal. The exhaust noise has not been checked yet, but its a G40 on standard pulley with a 2 1/4" straight throu single silenced exhaust.

Does anyone know this? Ive been told the highways act says its 130dB or something crazy like that. The traffic officer that issued the ticket didn't know what the law stated, just that in his opinion it was to loud and estimated it at 96dB.
    He also was certain that superchargers are quiet little things that dont make noise at all, only turbo's make noise.:clap:

We've been pulled before randomly and even after 45mins sometimes, usually they going on about wheels (which have been changed now), they never say anything about the car being too loud, some even love th enoise from it and the 'race car' looks.

Oh, and a C reg VW Polo can never be a track car at all apparently cos its too old according to him. The rollcage, seam welded chassis, race seats and harnesses mean nothing, its just a rust bucket, although he couldn't find any rust at all, lol.

Thanks
    Paul

Last edited: May 26, 2006
  2. Seraph Banned

always believed it was down it coppers discretion, as it is for an mot tester.

3. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Find his cop car and chop a big slot in his exhaust as he goes into tesco's to buy a bag of value donuts

4. chrismc Forum Junkie

Wasnt aware there was a dB limit for a road car. Exhaust noise could only be considered excessive if it was due to the system being leaky/poor fit/unsuitable etc

Anything around 100dB & you should be fine IMO:)

5. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

He's doing well if he can estimate it at any decibel limit........ I've a calibrated sound meter here and plenty of practice at "guessing" - any time I try and guess a noise level I'm a good few dB out.
    The SVA limit is 101 dB, which is a fairly huge whack above his guesstimated 96. About the same as a circular saw......... and you wouldn't be having a conversation with the copper over the noise of a circular saw......

6. Quasar Forum Member

Hahaha... I dunno nothing about UK exhaust laws, but it's frigging hilarious that someone believes turbo cars are actually loud...
    Talk about 4-butterfly Pugs with Group N straightthrougs then get whatever turbo car you want next to it to talk about noise

Actually, turbo quietens down the car like "half a silencer" and S/C are usually loud little buggers... LOL

P.S.... I apologize for the off topic...

7. ChrisUK Forum Member

Copper just sounds like the stereotypical arrogant tosspot tbh!

BUT not paying the fine may be a bad idea, but you should be able to request an actual official test...you can't just "guess" dB accruately!!

8. toddygti Forum Member

noise

I know the legal limit for a turbo dump valve is 112db. I wouldnt have thought your system would be ridiculous.
    Take the car to court with you and ask the judge to have listen, maybe offer him a go in it... once he's had ago, he'll love and want one himself, whilst at the same time, telling that copper where he can f**k off!

:)

Toddy

9. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Jobsworth pathetic copper. Find the daft idiot and run him over! :) Then ask him to guess the db of the incident.

10. The db

The db Forum Junkie

Hahahaha. Sounds like another copper with nothing better to do. I can't imagine your car is braking the db level if it hasnt got a leak or holes etc. Ask the police to have it official read as you dispute the officers judgement. How can he "hear" that it is 96. In a court of law the police would be laughed back to the station. Request as a law obiding person, who pays their tax's, that an official reading be obtained. Also point out that should it be too loud (which it wont) that you will be more than willing to pay the fine. If the police refuse the test etc etc go to court and explain how willing you were to rectify the situation but the police would not even deem you a propper electronic test of your exhausts noise emmissions. That evidence alone will have them back in the pig house with no money off you. I love how some police think they make the law, not enforce it. idiots.

11. madmonkey Forum Addict

:clap: What the good man DB says...:clap:

12. Seraph Banned

wtf!

you're telling me theres a specific limit for dumpvalved cars?!?![:s]

13. Polog4tracer Forum Member

hehe, cheers guys. Fitting a 65mm pulley in a weeks time so should quieten it abit anyway which'll help. My race car was well loud with a standard pulley and stock supercharger fitted on it after I blew up the supercharger seals, although 8500rpm G40 racing engine and a 65mm pulley wasn't a good idea, lol. Emissions...hmm [:-B] hehe, may have alter the co pot abit to run the idle abit leaner in that case, its what we do for the MOT. [:$] :lol:

TB'd cars are much louder than the G40, comedy coppers.

14. Miss_mental_mk2 Forum Member

You know what running the copper over might be a good idea, might lighten him abit to the modded VW dub scene.

The fact he called me idiot and that i didnt know anythink about my car bcos i have tits and im blonde ( he didnt say that but just might have well said it) means i dont know nothing, well i showed him what for in his little piggie wagon.

Im making a compliant agaisnt him away so i dont think the fine will reach the court so im not worried.

Jibber