Exhaust recommendations - ABF'd Mk2

Discussion in 'Engines' started by jmsheahan, Sep 17, 2018.

1. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Hi all,

Looking for some advice on a suitable exhaust for my ABF’d mk2. I’ve cracked the downpipe currently on it and the whole system could do with a little tlc.

Currently running an 8v 2” Jetex with a mk2 8v downpipe (welded in lambda) and ABF manifold.

I’d quite like to upgrade the exhaust to a proper 16v 2.25” system but need to retain a bung for the lambda sensor.

My question is, is it worth swapping out to 2.25” or is the current 2” system, adequate?

Options sticking with 2” (8v):
    • Source another Mk2 Golf GTI 2” downpipe (stainless available?) and mate to ABF cast manifold
    • Fit a Mk3 Golf GTI 2” downpipe with a decat pipe and mate to ABF cast manifold
    • TSR 4 branch (the only ones that’ll truly fit without issue? Worth it?) mated to a decat pipe and reducer
    Options going with 2.25 (16v)”:
    • Mk3 Golf GTI 2.25 16v downpipe mated into the 2” Jetex using a decat pipe and reducer
    • TSR 4 branch mated into the 2” Jetex using a decat pipe and reducer
    • TSR 4 branch mated into the 2.25” system.
    I’m looking for the best flowing exhaust that’s suitable for a mildly breathed on ABF (suitable up to ~180bhp).

Any help appreciated :thumbup:

2. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

my mk2 rally car 2L made 195hp on a 2" system, sometimes bigger isn't always better..........
    Jon

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

mk3 2.0 8v and 16v use the same downpipe, and decat same also ends up at 2.25". just post cat 8v reduces to 2".

the oem manifold/downpipes do flow nicely so in most cases you wont see any benefit going 4 branch, but the choice is yours

4. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

From a performance benefit, just replace the downpipe with a like for like part.

Weld back you lambda bung job done.

Lots of folks waste money on fancy down pipes and shiny 'beautiful' looking exhaust systems, that do jack shit for performance.

Your call ultimately if you chose to ignore.

5. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Cheers for the replies guys.

Ultimately I'm weighing up first whether its worth swapping out the 2" system for the 2.25" (which it sounds as though its not?). It's one of the last remaining bits left on the car from it's 8v origins.

Not really that concerned on 'beauty' and appreciate the OE flows well, its more for longevity and would be nice to have a well fitted, full stainless system. Fit and forget as it were with the ability to cope with any future engine upgrades (headwork, SEM etc).

The stock steel downpipe has cracked in two places and the manifold itself has too (I know most ABF ones have already).

If the 8v downpipes were available in stainless I'd probably just do that but sadly looks like they only exist stateside.